Fuel cap loose or missing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoulderGT3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting an error message saying the fuel cap is loose or missing. It isn't. Does this reset itself after a bit I do I need to go to a dealer to reset? Thanks.

Z

zdas04

I started getting that message after my fuel-tank recall was done. After a couple of weeks, the amber "check engine" light came on. I went to a dealer out of town and he reset both codes. A week later the loose cap message was back. A few days after that the amber light was back.

The local dealer replaced the fuel filler neck. A week later the loose cap message was back, and has been on intermittently for 3 months but the amber light hasn't come back on this time. I don't have a clue how to fix it so I've just gotten used to it.

David

woodmews

Reaction score
I had the same problem, after 4 trips to the dealer, it was fixed. They replaced the fuel filler assembly and that fixed the problem on the 4th try. The only saving grace to this is the dealership kept picking up my car and delivering me a loaner and then they returned my car to me each time.

BoulderGT3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
woodmews said:
I had the same problem, after 4 trips to the dealer, it was fixed. They replaced the fuel filler assembly and that fixed the problem on the 4th try. The only saving grace to this is the dealership kept picking up my car and delivering me a loaner and then they returned my car to me each time.
They said it might be that or a bad gas cap. It's is being checked as we speak and the new ride height sensors are being put in. Minor nit stuff but chicken little warnings drive me nuts. I hope they can get it stabilized.

Shark_LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read a TSB about this message. There was a software change that revised the original text that was engineering gobble-de-**** to what you've written here - Loose filler cap.

Basically it's an environmental warning that there has been a breach in the evaporation control system - the closed space of the fuel tank, piping, hoses, charcoal filters etc. that keep gas fumes from just being turfed into the atmosphere.

What I would do is make sure the seal at the gas cap is perfectly clean and the cap is fully locked down until you hear the little clutch start clicking.

It's pretty cool that leak detection software has been implemented. Just a guess ---they must have a pressure sensor and software that looks for elevated pressure in the system during operation. If the system is flat-lined (no pressure build up) then obivously it is venting. The dealer has to find the leak. And when they do - execute proper workmanship so it doesn't re-occur.

woodmews

Reaction score
BoulderGT3 said:
They said it might be that or a bad gas cap. It's is being checked as we speak and the new ride height sensors are being put in. Minor nit stuff but chicken little warnings drive me nuts. I hope they can get it stabilized.
The gas cap was the first thing they replaced on my first visit, wasn't fixed until the 4th. Good luck, hope yours was better than mine.

I still love my truck and wouldn't turn it in for anything.

BoulderGT3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shark_LR3 said:
I read a TSB about this message. There was a software change that revised the original text that was engineering gobble-de-**** to what you've written here - Loose filler cap.

Basically it's an environmental warning that there has been a breach in the evaporation control system - the closed space of the fuel tank, piping, hoses, charcoal filters etc. that keep gas fumes from just being turfed into the atmosphere.

What I would do is make sure the seal at the gas cap is perfectly clean and the cap is fully locked down until you hear the little clutch start clicking.

It's pretty cool that leak detection software has been implemented. Just a guess ---they must have a pressure sensor and software that looks for elevated pressure in the system during operation. If the system is flat-lined (no pressure build up) then obivously it is venting. The dealer has to find the leak. And when they do - execute proper workmanship so it doesn't re-occur.
It's cool but everybody has run closed loop fuel systems for a long time and none of my other cars spit error codes for them. It also can't be reset via OBDII but must be reset with their proprietary SW switch.

Love the truck but there is a fine line between character and bad manners. My LR3 is about 2 offenses away from being considered as having bad manners.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you gone off road yet? That will reset the manner meter :)

Shark_LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad Manners?

Yes of course closed systems have been around for 20 years but monitoring the system like this is recent and part of ODBII. The sum of all cars with faulty EVAP systems equals huge amounts of unburned HC's into the atmosphere adding to the greenhouse problem that might to cook your great grandchildren. .....heed the messages.

I found some codes regarding EVAP and there is a pressure sensor as I suspected. On my other cars there is pressure in the fuel tank pretty much all the time. Our LR3 I have not seen that. Side note - The LR3 is returning 13.9L/100 which is really good for its size. I'm impressed.

DTC P0440 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System
DTC P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow
Shark>> DTC P0442 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Small Leak Detected
DTC P0443 EVAP Purge Solenoid Valve 1 Control CKT
DTC P0444 Evaporative Emission Control Purge Control Valve Circuit Open
DTC P0445 Evaporative Emission Control Purge Control Valve Circuit Shorted
DTC P0446 EVAP Vent Solenoid Valve Control System
DTC P0447 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Open
DTC P0448 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Shorted
DTC P0449 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Solenoid Control Circuit
DTC P0450 Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Circuit
DTC P0451 Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor