Transmission troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

dry_fly

hey fellow enthusiasts... Please help me out with my 03 Disco w/55,000 miles... Durring a sanctioned Land Rover wheels event we were having some fun in the mud until I decided to blast through a rather large puddle that turned out to be a standing pond. I think you know where this is going. Water was up to the windows in my 03 disco when the engine bogged out.... miraculously the engine fired back up & I was able to drive out in reverse. Durring the 1 hour ride home the truck drove like nothing every happened but the check engine light came on due to the shorted out air flow sensor my LR dealer diagnosed. The dealer allegadly checked everything out & replced the sensor cleaned out the radiator from all the mudd & sent me on my way... $750.00 ouch, but it was my fault. About 2 months later I noticed the automatic transmission making a clunking noise when my tranny was coming to a stop. Then while towing a trailer I parked my car & noticed about 2 gallons of transmission fluid on the driveway. I immediately had the truck towed on a flat bed to the nearest mechanic who specializes in european cars & Rovers. He calls the next day and asks if I have had my car in any water... and of course I chuckle & say of course It's a Land Rover... He then proceeds to tell me that my transmission is full of a mix of water & Fluid, and he will see what he can do. 56 gallons of transmission fluid later & over $500.00 (to flush out all the water) he tells me that water must have come in through the transmission overflow durring the submersion & mixed with the tranmission fluid? Now there was fluid & water in the tranny before he flushed it, but proceeded to flush & fill with fluid. When I picked up my Disco I asked if it were his car would he keep it, and he proceeded to tell me that he would get rid of the truck. I absolutely love my 03 Disco & am not too fond of the asthetics of the LR3... what should I do. I guess what I'm asking is has anyone had anything similar happen & what was the outcome? Should I chance keeping the car & putting a couple thousand $ into a transmission or trade it in for a new Rover with a warranty? I appeciate your input... keep on truck'n!
Cheers!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
With that much water and time... you will probably need a new transmission, but my question is, did you check the transfer case, the engine oil, the differential cases.... remember water can be ******* parts that need oil or grease.

H

Hampus

Hey there!

I would sell it and get another used one, as I agree with you on the series 3. Next time, get a manual transmission. I never could understand why you're so fond of your automatics on that side of the Atlantic. <<-- expecting a lot of replies on this.

There is a pretty good reason most real terrain going vehicles come with manual transmission. And there's no way you'll get water in a manual tranny on a LR, as it is sealed with bolts. No filling pipe, no over filling drain pipe.

Does the automatic transmission on LR come with real diff locks that you can manually engage, or just diff brakes?

/Hampus

-91 LR Discovery Manual transmission ;P

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Hampus, since you are expecting the reply... keep in mind that most vehicles in the USA are auto's, LR only made Manuals up to 97 IIRC. Not only that, but most people never learn to drive a manual transmission.

Personally I love them, but having bad knees prevents me from buying another, unless of course I ever find a real good deal on a pre-88 Lotus Esprit.... missed one due to family issues, I may never forgive myself for that....

Viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys I am a bit confused with this issue, are you all saying all the LR’s with a automatic transmission will have this problem if it goes under water?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Any auto transmission that has been submerged should have the fluids changed....

So yes this can happen to any vehicle including a Land Rover.

D

dry_fly

hmm interesting... All the other fluids have been drained... but I guess it's gone... maybe I'll try to find an 04 with low miles, however the series 3's are not moving off the lot, maybe I can get something with year end encentives. I hear you on the manual gear box... it sucks being state side. Does anyone have any offroad experience with the new tiptronic transmission? who knows maybe it's time to see what else is out there? I was hoping to hold out for the state-side defender in 08/09? I appreciate you feedback.
Cheers!

H

Hampus

Joey. Yes, I know that you have mostly automatics, and there are clear advantages. Easier to drive (my Mustang was a dream in heavy traffic with its automatic), even in terrain, where you with a manual transmission would wear out the clutch faster. Unfortunately, it's as you say, they don't like being submerged. And service costs are higer, as is the fuel consumption. But... Do the automatic LRs come with diff locks? Always wondered. we hardly ever see automatic Land Rovers here, other than Range Rovers now and then.

/Hampus

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Most LR's come with Center diff locks, but only the new LR3 (Disco 3) comes with a rear electric diff lock if so equipped (has to be ordered that way).

I know my 97 only has a center diff lock. But one day It will have at least a rear...

Viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am a bit worried after reading this page. I recently did some revere crossings in my Disco 2000 and the water came up to the beginning of the door from the bottom. In other words up to the floor board and I was in there for almost 10, 15 minutes. Question is do I need to flush my automatic transmission ASAP??????

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72