18 inch wheels for off road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know 18 inch wheels are in high demand and hard to find.
With 18's you have more tire selection and sidewall for off road use.
There are few choices, and the best wheel out there is the Compomotive PD 1881 from the UK. It's hard to get and I have put together a special arrangement with the manufacturer to obtain this wheel for $335 each.
A set of 5 costs $1,675 plus $298 shipping to your door from the UK.
This is the best deal out there including going direct. So if you are interested I will be placing orders for the next batch being made this month.
You can see this special offer here:
http://johnsonrods.com/johnson_rods_3_007.htm

This wheel comes in Satin Black or Grey. Here are some pics.

Compomotive%2018%20wheel.jpg
[/IMG]

Black%20PD1880%20front.jpg
[/IMG]

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the people who want to swap the brake parts to allow a 17", you could look into bringing in the couple 17" wheels in Europe, the factory alloy and there's a steel too. Both fit over the V6 brake rotors using same calipers with new carriers.

This applies to lr3 easily, not sure how an LR4 would be done but it's still just brake parts, very affordable and easy unless a new caliper is needed too.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the front brakes of the LR4 are substantially larger than the LR3.

So what then? The vehicle weight is about the same so in a sense, the LR4 does not "need" any more braking power. I'd be interested in seeing what the uk tdv6 lr4 base model brake parts are compared to theirs and our v8 lr4.

Here are the basic rotor sizes:

Discovery 3 TDV6 (2.7), Discovery 4 TDV6 2.7, Discovery 4 V6: vorne 317 mm, hinten 325 mm
Discovery 3 V8: vorne 337 mm, hinten 350 mm
Discovery 4 TDV6 3.0, Discovery 4 V8: vorne 360 mm, hinten 350 mm

Last edited:

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most modern cars don't "need" any more braking power...or over 300hp...but it's nice to have.

Love my Compos, glad to see it is available in the US.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find any appreciable difference in stopping distance between the 3 and the 4. Both high 125-130 feet from 60-0. So what do the bigger brakes do? They certainly don't last longer...

SHS14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fade resistance, consistent performance in high use scenarios

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fade resistance, consistent performance in high use scenarios

The Land Rover is not a sports car finding itself in many situations requiring such properties. Furthermore, using ones brain can also work well for harder scenarios. For example, if a person doesn't know how to handle braking with a trailer on a decent, then maybe they shouldn't be out towing in the first place.

A bigger rotor is going to heat up just the same if you just stand on them for a while.

Lastly, it's pure BS to simply put on bigger rotors. There are very high end brakes that are not so large as to require a 19" wheel. Lightening the LR4 a bit would have done far more to improve stopping distance and also make it more maneuverable overall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72