18 inch wheels for off road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally, the higher the horsepower, the larger the brakes. The LR4 has 25% more horses than the LR3, so it gets bigger brakes. The Supercharged version of the LR4's normally aspirated V8 engine, mounted on 2010+ RRS and RR only, makes some 500hp, and comes with even larger brakes that preclude the use of any wheels smaller than 19", including the 18" Compomotives. They just won't fit. All these cars weigh about the same, give or take a few lbs.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't use that as their "reason": 2008 G55 has way more power and weighs just as much, but 18" were wheels fit as standard.

Current 2015 G550 (non-AMG) with basically same power as V8 LR4 (382 hp/391 lb-ft) but weighs the same (5805) and it has 18" wheels fit from factory, not 19", not 20" ! Even the G63 can fit an 18" AMG wheel but came standard with 19" until last year.

Overbuilt monster truck G63 6x6 uses 18" beadlock wheels... 50% more than LR4, probably 50% more weight.

Their excuse of "more power needs bigger brakes" is pure BS.

The corporate choices to build LAND ROVERS such that they REQUIRE 20" wheels is one of the biggest jokes on consumers I've seen in a long time. It's like a bathing suit made with a fabric you can't get wet.

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sadly, I think the real reason they are going to bigger rims is because most people want them. That they "require" them is BS. People haven't started using Rovers on the track, the speed limits haven't changed. Fact is, LR is selling out. As a company, that's probably a great plan. As an enthusiast, it just plain sucks. At the very least they should offer at least one model that can be ordered in true off road trim. It's not like they would lose money, and they'd at least be able to keep some of the heritage.
But we are pretty off topic, thanks for putting together a group buy, I'm considering it!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sadly, I think the real reason they are going to bigger rims is because most people want them.

You had a typo, it's rimZ ;)

Sure would be cool if Land Rover, in the same way Porsche offers a ceramic big brake kit, would offer a smaller but great brake kit and small wheel option.

Reaction score
Brake size has been going up over the decades. The G55 was designed decades ago. Modern sporty cars and suvs typically are coming with bigger and bigger brakes. We have hit a point of overkill. Brakes sizing is mostly about MASS to absorb the heat from repeated braking. This prevents overheating. It's a little silly to require a 19inch wheel on a TRUCK because you made the brake rotor so large. They could have made it the same mass by making it wider rather then bigger. But thats not as cool looking. Big brakes look cool to most people. Not a single decent car/truck (with modern brakes) can't lock up all four tires at 60mph. So size is not about decreasing stoping distance. That is easy to do with proper caliper piston size and brake pad. So lets face it. The oversized brakes on the LR4 are all about looks and image. Whoever was the knuckle head who thought no one would want 18 inch wheels on a LR4 was a idiot.

gghaggis

Reaction score
The larger discs (and callipers) on the D4/LR4 were fitted primarily to improve the traction control performance. The D3 would fade earlier on long-haul offroad treks where the TC was in constant use.

It also allowed the programmers to improve the performance of the RockCrawl setting, amongst others.

Cheers,

Gordon

Reaction score
Ahh, that makes sense. But they are nearly 14inch's. Thats HUGE. They could have just made the rotor thicker for more heat absorbing capacity. I did that on a track car once. Adding 1/4 inch made a BIG difference. I bet they could have done something similar and made some 18" wheels to work at the same time.

gghaggis

Reaction score
Ahh, that makes sense. But they are nearly 14inch's. Thats HUGE. They could have just made the rotor thicker for more heat absorbing capacity. I did that on a track car once. Adding 1/4 inch made a BIG difference. I bet they could have done something similar and made some 18" wheels to work at the same time.

In RockCrawl there's over 12000psi at the calliper - the larger surface area allows for finer control of the wheel speed deltas.

Cheers,

Gordon

bullmrkt

Reaction score
Ha, boy did this thread ever get off topic.

Johnson, I'm interested in a set of compo's. I'm in the process of acquiring a 2013 Causeway Gray LR4 now and would like to get my wheel situation sorted out. It has the factory 20" 5-spoke wheels on it, which I think are glamorously fugly and worthless for winter here in Ohio. Anyway, what color does everyone think would go well with causeway gray? Black I suppose, the anthracite might be too much dark gray? Monochromatic?

Also, can anyone chime in on the daily drivability of BFG T/A KO2's? I'd get the 265/65/18's for no rubbing and to maintain access mode functionality, which I'll need to get in my garage. But I haven't seen anyone comment on how they are for daily driving on-road, which will be a lot of my driving. I will be occasionally towing a 20' enclosed car hauler loaded with sports cars, so load rating is a concern. As far as snow goes, all I've read is positive reviews so should be good there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72