Why no chains on rear wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AceRider

Reaction score
OK, I have a pregnant wife due any day and a big ice storm headed my way. Therefore I'm buying some snow chains today.

Does anyone know why the manual says specifically no chains on the rear wheels? I'm not buying big chains, rather the SCC Z-Chain SV207. It's not too bulky, so I'm wondering if it's a clearance issue or something else and if these, being small, may fit the rear?

Ice sucks.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think clearances are issues (as a matter of fact, they may become more of an issue on the front wheels with bulky chains, considering how fairly close to the tire that control arm sits inside the front wheel), my guess is that Land Rover feels you'll gain better steering control by mounting them on the front wheels.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would strongly caution you on driving with chains if you haven't had some practice before. Especially if you dont end up with ice thick enough to really engage them.

Could cause you more problems than you think.

What do you have for tires? (A set of snows would be the best option)

AceRider

Reaction score
I would strongly caution you on driving with chains if you haven't had some practice before. Especially if you dont end up with ice thick enough to really engage them.

Could cause you more problems than you think.

What do you have for tires? (A set of snows would be the best option)

I think just all season; I'll have to go look. But this is an ice STORM, not some freezing rain. Been through one of these before in Dallas and it was 1-2 thick, like an ice skating rink, literally. Not patchy, not puddles frozen, just a solid sheet of ice. I had a RWD car and I basically had to time each light perfectly, because once I stopped, there was no starting again. Fortunately no one else was stupid enough to be out there with me on the roads....

I'm hoping to not have to venture out in it at all, but again, wife is due any day and if it happens, I can't avoid it.

Unfortunatley I don't/won't have the luxury of experimenting; if I need to go and it's icy, I'll just have to.

Last edited:

AceRider

Reaction score
I don't think clearances are issues (as a matter of fact, they may become more of an issue on the front wheels with bulky chains, considering how fairly close to the tire that control arm sits inside the front wheel), my guess is that Land Rover feels you'll gain better steering control by mounting them on the front wheels.

Interesting thought, but it doesn't appear to be a suggestion or based on getting the best results. It seems to indicate NO chains on the rear and I'm just curious if anyone knows why - is it clearance, an AWD issue, something else?

I've also read, however, that some LR driving course instructors ONLY use chains on the rear, so go figure.

Finally, these aren't the chains you're picturing in your mind, they are cables and I only intend them for emergency use; I don't live somewhere where I would actually need these for extended driving, serious off-roading in snow or anything. This is simply for emergency use, so I opted for a less rugged set of "chains."

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If those courses involve a lot of steep downhill driving, I'd want them on the rear wheels as well, despite Land Rover's Handbook recommendations.

AceRider

Reaction score
I would strongly caution you on driving with chains....

Since you state this, do you have basic advice? I thought just go slow, nothing sudden, etc. Like you would normally drive in ice/snow, but you have the added benefit of grip from the chain.

If it's dry or patchy, I won't use them.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you state this, do you have basic advice? I thought just go slow, nothing sudden, etc. Like you would normally drive in ice/snow, but you have the added benefit of grip from the chain.

If it's dry or patchy, I won't use them.

You will probably be ok, I just know what you would be dealing with and would hate for you to have to also worry about putting on chains and all that and risk having something go wrong.

I'd say have them on before hand, take a test drive. Make sure you are comfortable with them.

Once those contractions start you are not going to be thinking as clearly about the tires. Congrats and good luck on everything!

AceRider

Reaction score
Good advice. Depending on how the weather actually looks, maybe I'll put them on with the goal of just taking them off when things clear. If we HAVE to go, though, you're right, we'll be ready and not fumbling around with them. I've never driven with chains, so maybe I'll go out just for fun at some point.

Thanks for the well wishes; it's number two though, and basically we've done nothing to prepare...

jbrincks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the chains. I understand your concern and lived in Dallas for most of my life. But you are driving a completely different vehicle than the RWD car. If you use common sense while driving and put it in 4 wheel drive snow mode you should not have any problems. I've driven in most all the recent ice storms in that area and have not had problems when the vehicle was in 4 wheel drive. As stated above if you haven't used chains before, I think you're better off with out. When your wife is in labor is not the time to learn.

Good luck and congratulations! Keep us posted

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72