Why no chains on rear wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Solis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also live in the Bay Area and had to sign the same thing, no chains. Purchase was in Sacramento. No worries tho because she's a Land Rover, we don't need no stinkin chains!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418083101.169131.jpg

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since its a 4x4 as long as you have winter tires with some thread on them you shouldn't need chains and the reason only front its probably due to traction and steering

Thanks. But I have stock Contis and dont really need winter tires in my area, so dont really want to spend on them. But when I go to mountain areas for weekend/ski trips etc within a hundred or or miles radius and conditions get bad, I want to be prepared.

Last winter I went out there and felt that my stock Contis were a bit less-confidence inspiring.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a side note.

When I received my MY14 LR4 I actually had to sign a form stating that I would not drive with chains on the vehicle (no mention of front vs back). One of the many forms you have to sign for delivery. Since we never use chains out here I didn't think much of it at the time.

Or what? They take the truck back? :stupid:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine why they would make you sign something that you won't use them. Most of the time when you sign something it is because someone sued them or complained. I've seen chain-like accessories in older versions of their accessories catalog.

I live in CO and though I will likely never need them here is what I did. There is a tire dealer called Les Schwab in the area. I think they are throughout the NW as I remember them growing up in Oregon. Anyway, for a bit of $100 you can buy an easy-on lightweight chain system. It comes in a canvas bag. You have to hold it until after April 1. But if you don't use it you can bring it back and get your money back. So have have them just for emergency when I am up in the mountains.

Last January I took an LR4 out for a test drive and it got stuck in an icy spot on a mountain road. Stock Contis. I was stuck trying to turn around. All four tires sitting in little icy cups. Fortunately I found a guy with a shovel so I could break the ice and get some traction. So I never assume that the tires and 4WD will be enough.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine why they would make you sign something that you won't use them. Most of the time when you sign something it is because someone sued them or complained. I've seen chain-like accessories in older versions of their accessories catalog.

To be fair, in this LR4 accessory PDF I have (cover shown), it has chains listed in it for 17" wheels and 18" and 19" wheels for model year 2005 - 2009 only. Obviously those are LR3 model years. I can't imagine what is different between the two drivetrains. It also mentions "front wheels only".

Attachments

• LR4 Accessories.jpg
    LR4 Accessories.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Chains.JPG
    Chains.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads