Left the gas cap and lid open after filling up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Left the gas cap off and the fuel door open after filling up

...and drove for six or seven miles (freeway and city). Any harm done at all?

I noticed that the fuel door was half shut (about 45 degrees) and a bit pressed toward its closing position (not fully closed due to cap being hung on it and therefore in the way) probably due to air drag, etc.

Also I have noticed in other cars that I have owned that there is always this spring-loaded valve/cover that keeps the opening/hole closed until you insert the pump nozzle into it which pushes is out of the way, but my LR4 doesn't have that, once you unscrew the cap you see the hole/opening going straight down to the tank. I dont remember if my LR3 had that safety valve/cover either.

Last edited:

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your vehicle didn't have any problem within the first 30 minutes after leaving the cap off, you'll likely have no issues at all. Usually this results in the "Check Engine" light illuminating and once you put the cap back on tightly and start and stop your vehicle a certain number of times, the light will shut off. Problem solved.

Biggest issue may be possible damage to your fuel door should someone strike it or it be struck by debris on the highway. Glad you escaped with no harm.

In my 2013 LR4's there is a flap down in the filler neck. You probably have one too but it is not at the very top, but further down in the neck so you might not see it at first glance.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72