2004 Disco II Drives like a snowmobile - Revs up before moving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ajohncock

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm new around here and hoping from some insight. I've got a 2004 Land Rover Discovery II that I'm looking at buying.

The owner says it needs a transmission, but I'm not convinced yet. I tested it out the other day, and it does move, drive and shift (when cold) but the engine revs to about 2,000 RPM before it moves at all. Feels a little like a snowmobile. After warming up, it would rev up even more and move a bit, but wouldn't really drive like it did when it was cold.

I ran the codes on it, and it gave me:

P0741 - Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Circuit Performance or Stuck Off
P0734 - Gear 4 incorrect ratio
P0733 - Gear 3 incorrect ratio
P0462 Fuel Level Sensor A Circuit Low Input

I've done a ton of searching around various forums and google, and found lots of info, especially on the P0741 code, but nobody that seems to report these same symptoms. Also, the ABS, Hill Decent, and Traction Control lights are all on.

I've gotten the seller to accept $2,050 for it with a spare tranny out of a wrecked but running rover.

Do you think this is a good deal? Where should I start in terms of repairs? Fluids, Battery, Clutch Solenoid?

Thanks, and any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Alex

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
2 grand for an 04 disco... with a spare trans, I would buy it if you have the time a space to work on it.

I would start by making sure the transmission is full of fluids

How many miles does it have?

Also welcome to the forum.

Ajohncock

Reaction score
Thanks Joey!

It's got 120,000 on the clock. The rest of it seems to be in pretty good shape. It seems to run well, but will definitely need a battery and of course the other things fixed.

I'm a mechanically inclined Mechanical Engineer, so I'm confident I can do most things, but wondering if I'll be opening Pandora's Box here.

Seems like the P0741 code is kind of notorious and there's not a silver bullet for it....

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
give nathan a call in my signature. i am sure he can offer insight and a good price on parts

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72