Problems with steering wheel surface

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ayates

Reaction score
I have been noticing over the last month or so that the surface of the steering wheel has been getting a bit rough and instead of being smooth it almost looks as if it blistered in parts. Thought it maybe my wifes rings scratching it but that seems unlikely or indeed a bit of sunburn (its usually sunny in Texas after all). Anyway I was going to mention it to the dealer next week and just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem.... ?

maybe it just needs a bit of Hand Cream applied :)

Cheers....

T

threeputt

Me three... although I didn't get a new one yet, the dealer has one on order.

Jeff

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out my thread titled Drivers airbag module. The leather cover basically disintegrated. The dealer told me that the problem also happened to a batch of Range Rover wheels. They replaced the wheel without issue.

ayates

Reaction score
Steering Wheel getting sorted :)

LR looked at the steering wheel this morning and agreed it needed changing under warranty as the surface had degraded saying this was indeed a known problem..... as y'all mentioned

So just wait a week for the part and we're sorted !

Whilst I was there looked at the new LR2, very nice upgrade from the Freebie .... just put my LR3 in the dryer on hot and there you go a brand new LR2 :)

Cheers !

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's funny about the airbag cover on the steering wheel. I pointed out to dealer that it appears to be curling on the top side at the point where the edge meets the steering column. They said that all of the LR3's are doing that so they did not want to replace under warranty. I think I need to pay them a visit again.

D

delazkar

I have the exact same problem - Dealer wont replace!!!

Hello All,

Sounds like you all have better dealers near by. I take mine to the Anaheim Hills dealer and they tell me that the steering wheel disintegrating is normal wear and tear. I was extremely disappointed with their thinking that the manufacturer is producing steering wheels to last under 2 years. Mine started to show this problem at 31K miles. The steering wheel is not really bad in the top and left side.

I would really appreciate it if you guys would post what dealers you took your LR3s to get the steering wheel fixed. This would give me some ammo to fight the dealer on this. Ultimately I will have to take my LR3 elsewhere, but I they'll have to address this issue for me first.

Thank you all for your help,

Del.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Normal" wear & tear?? That's B.S. The right thing for your dealer to do is replace the part if your truck is still under warranty. Have you contacted LRNA about this?

Last edited:
J

JJABKW

Del,
Try the service department at Land Rover Mission Viejo. My LR3 experience has been relatively positive partially because of the willingness of LRMV to make repairs under the manufacturers warranty without me having to argue my point. I had similar experiences at Anaheim Hills. Not having to convince a dealer to make acceptable manufacturer warranty repairs and having it done right the first time is worth the extra driving time to South OC, in my opinion. If I remember correctly, Glenn is the name of the service advisor I have used.

D

delazkar

Thanks for the quick reply,

I did talk to Land Rover North America. They have a case open for me on this. My LR3 is currently at the Anaheim Hills dealer for some squealing breaks that they just did for it and to evaluate the steering wheel problem. But when I brought the car to the dealer per instructions from LRNA, the service manager was very unprofessional, telling me that he had already looked at the steering wheel and that he didn't see why they had to look at it again.

This made me very upset, but I kept my cool. I started thinking that this was the last LR for me. I just couldn't believe the b.s. and lack of professionalism from the "manager".

But then I thought, I can't be the only one with this problem. So I ended up here. Looking from some reference material that I can show them to proof that it is a defect and not a worn off steering wheel as they say.

Thanks again, I am still hoping to get the dealer that AYATES used. Since he/she is the most recent one with the issue and their dealer has ordered the part for them.

Del.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo