Dealer repair for stop start, put 50 miles on my rig. Sound right?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Took the 2015 LR4 to the dealership for stop start repair. Picked up my vehicle with nearly 50 miles added to the odometer. I was out of town on business, so I left it there for two days.

Probably wouldn't have noticed but I brought it in with over a 1/4 tank of fuel and picked it up with the fuel lite on.

So, I asked the advisor and he said that they needed to test the stop start and it's standard to put that many miles on it when they fix stop start.

The fix, they claim was charging the battery. Of course, after 1 day, it no longer works again.

Thoughts

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they drove the vehicle 50 miles to charge the battery rather than put a charger on it!

50 miles does seem a bit excessive for testing, but it is not uncommon for a service department to test drive a vehicle while also running an errand or two. They may have used it to go pickup another vehicle for service....

Since disconnecting the battery is the method everyone uses to bypass the start/stop system, it seems safe to say the battery is likely dead again. If no other issues are causing it to drain, they should just replace it rather than charge it.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always thought that some service department advisors would make great White House spokesmen.

That's not a compliment.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My service manager has been known to take mine home over the weekend, that was for major engine repair. 50 miles seems in line with what I typically see.

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is excessive mileage to me.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mileage wouldn't bother me as much as returning the vehicle to you with the gas light on.

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it wasn't used to take the techs to lunch, pick up a pizza or two, run to the bank....you know "technical" road testing...your fuel is free after all.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
zl27gtsvgfUZO.gif

I can't be the only one thinking of Ferris Bueller.

Last edited:

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JoTaDe

haha, so true right. I'm installing the tracker app for next time. Still not buying the excuse they gave me.

The funny thing is that it did cause me to research stop/start technology and I've come to the conclusion that it does nothing but put added wear on the crankshaft/main bearing through exponential stop/start cycles, so I am not going to have them fix it right.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The interesting thing for me (and some others on here have similar experiences) is that the ECO mode stopped engaging for me after about a year.

For the first year it'd engaged practically every stop, now I drive weeks without it engaging (maybe happens under 5x a month total). I did learn to just live with it, but now that it doesn't engage anymore I'm ok with that too :)

And I would have the same concerns as you with the dealer putting 50 miles on it and not replenishing the fuel.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72