total blackout

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

icepix300

Reaction score
My 2005 LR3 SE was stolen a few days ago. It was recovered shorty after (about 2hrs) there was no apparent damage done. However the car was stolen with the key in the ignition. I have had the vehicle since it was brand new and the key that was in the ignition was the only key that worked the alarm. I have to wait for 7-10 days for Land Rover service to order a new key set. That's one issue. In addition to that today as I was driving all of the indicator warning lights in the dash came on and a big F showed up on the information screen. Shortly after the car died, and did not respond electrically at all. When the tow truck arrived the attendant attached a portable charger to it and it started, but as soon as the charger was disconnected it shut off. Can my issue be as simple as a dead battery?

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it ran with the jumper on it, and shut off when removed, that would indicate that the alternator is not charging, as you are able to run the engine without a battery installed(not recommended, but can be done) Could be the alternator itself, or the wiring for it.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might also get Rover to do an over night order, they can and should put a priorty order on it, may cost you a few bucks more, but worth it.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keys come from the UK so I doubt an overnighter is going to be "a few bucks" unfortunately....

icepix300

Reaction score
It turns out the issue was the altenator. Got that replaced and so far so good. The battery light has gone out as well. I'm feeling pretty good about it. Now if I can just get the new set of keys...

soshal1

Reaction score
Same thing just happened to us Sunday. All the warning lights showed up and then it all just died (while doing 90+ on the autobahn). Thankfully we were able to get to the side of the road safely. 600 Euro later, I have a new battery and alternator. I love my truck!!!!
107K and counting

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the fact that the Land Rover broke down actually help it to be recovered?

Is it a Land Rover defense mechanism? The car sensed that it was being stolen and gave up?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still planning on leaving the key in the ignition?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72