Aftermarket Sound System???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K

Kastaddiction

hey whast up?? well i am gettin my LR3 on monday and want to know if anyone has done any custom audio installations yet? Any thoughts on upgradeing the sound system with the new pioneer navigation? also does anyone now how land rover warranties handle these types of installs?? Thanks Yall

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In ways I cannot adequately explain, you cannot upgrade the headunit. It is integrated into the car's ECU. Your options are limited to amplifiers, crossovers, speakers, etc...

jager24

Reaction score
Actually that's only partially true. If you have an HSE W/NAV, don't do it. It is integrated into the Nav unit. If like mine you have an SE without NAV the only thing that is integrated is the control for the info/menu screen.

I have put in the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 and bypassed the rest of the system to include a Mcintosh MCC404 and Alpine mono amp and MB Quart speakers. I replaced the Subwoofer with a Blaupunkt Overdrive ODw1000. I have had a Pioneer AVIC-D1 and now this head unit in for about a year without any problems. You will not find a trim kit for the LR3 and I can not stress enough. Find a good custom installer to do your install. The fiberglass work involved to make a custom faceplate is not easy. Look for an installer that works on high end sport cars and not cars with neon.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow Jager that sounds amazing! (pun intended). Would love to see photos of all that.

Cheers,

NW

K

Kastaddiction

Thats what i want to do, i have the Se without the nav and i really wanna put the new pioneer in mine. How did you bypass the system??? If i get the pioneer and get it installed, i would have to run new wires from the amp to each speaker and leave out all the factory stereo or is it integrated into the car itself???

K

Kastaddiction

if you could post some pics, id really like to see that

jager24

Reaction score
You will need to run new speaker wires to all of the speakers. I pulled the factory amp. That's where I mounted the XM Radio W/NAV Trafic from Pioneer. You will also want to run a new wire to the Sub as the factory wires are not very good. I mounted the amps and crossovers where the 3rd row seats go (i only have a 5 seater). If you lift the floor there is a ton of room.

I'll try to get some pictures posted. I'm on the road until 12/1 so I can't do it until then.

Mr Woods... how are those sliders coming? You can't tell by my user name but this is Steve with Vintage Point. I got your email a couple of week ago but have been traveling out of the country.

jager24

Reaction score
I should note that you should have them leave the factory radio harness intact. They can tuck it in front of the air cond vent. If you ever need to adjust your info menus you can just plug in the factory radio and be able to use your steering wheel controls.

You can also install a steering wheel control for the Pioneer - PAC SWI-PS - search for that. It will control the Pioneer ( volume, track and mode).

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jager24 said:
I finally had time to post some photos. I hit my limit of 5 and I'll post the rest tomorrow.

Search for gallery - jager24

Can anyone tell me how to post a link to my gallery?
http://www.landroverworld.org/pictures/showgallery.php/ppuser/3151/cat/500

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112