Avon Tyre update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pattyboy

Reaction score
Well, have logged 2,345 miles on the Avon Tyres (I spell it cool:) and so far so good. Even though my truck still vibrates to an annoying level it is not the tyres. Over the vibration (It just occured to me why my wife likes driving the truck and I do not !!) I can feel the road well, and the ride is bumpy and stiff, but smoother than the Goodyears.

Spent a good 2 hours on the beach the other day, aired down to 22psi all around, and the tyres worked flawless. Deep, wet, and deep pebble'd trails all were traversed easily with the tyres, more so than the goodyears (goodyears almost felt like the Avon's did with the truck's DSC on in sand mode, if that makes any sense).

Gas mileage has improved 1 gallon or so a mile (up to 15.5 or so on mostly highway driving), but this may be due to the car breaking in a bit more.

Front psi at 33 and rear 36 (found the 42 psi in rear with these tyres made the car bounce a bit more in the rear with third row down, again, above and beyond my vibration).

Corners at spead and when starting from a stop feel much smoother in the tyres as well, not much hold back. Worked well on snow and ice lat week as well, but it was my first experience in the truck, and that was propably the car more than the tyres. But again, worked really well despite some of the reviews regarding snow performance (the tyres that is). Seemed to quickly displace and clean themselves of the snow.

That's it for now... Your Avon ginuea pig "aka how much vibration can a human take and still love his car" Land Rover Owner.

pattyboy

Reaction score
Sorry, should have been specific. Rim size is the stock 18 inch rim. The tire size is up one, a 265 60 18. Just wanted a stock replacement tire as my wife does a majority of the driving and did not want to get too big or aggresive with the tread pattern. I wanted to get the goodyears off of there, and the Avon's were much cheaper than the other options out there right now.

I was a little nervous about the price, and if they may have troubles because of it, but so far so good.

Also, the 265 rounds out the rim better and looks a little (a little) more husky than the 255 did.

I wanted to post some of these updates for all of you who wanted to replace, or need to replace, but did not want to pay too much. I am sure some of you had the same reservations as me when seeing the price and wondering if they could compete, or if they would have problems.

Again, out on the beach today with a 50 mph wind off of Cape Cod bay. New sand everywhere and soft. Both a 4 runner and Expedition were stuck in a deep area of Sandy Neck and digging out as I drove by, stopped, and asked if they want help. NO was the answer from both and one even yelled I better not stop here or I will get stuck as well. I kind of said OH, ok, thanks, and then smiled to my wife as we easily pulled away. Again, mostly the truck, but the tires did not hold it back at all (not trying to say these are sand tires by any means, but they worked well).

dbregman

Reaction score
No rubbing with the larger size? That sounds good. About how much do they cost? What IS causing the vibration?

Thanks,
David

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pattyboy said:
...the 265 rounds out the rim better and looks a little (a little) more husky than the 255 did.
Aha! I think I found the source of your vibration problem - you are using square rims!

pattyboy

Reaction score
No no rubbing,,, even in access mode going over speed bumps in the parking garage and on the sharp turns it is ok (a good test).

Those damn square rims!! I am not sure what is funnier, me hearing from the region service manager that my vibration is from trapped resonance in the air suspension, or if I walked in there with "crazy eyes" and a bit of a druled slur stating that I found the problem and it is the square rims !! :)

I knew I should have spent the extra money on the round ones !

Tirerak has them for $109 for the 265's. The 255's are about the same price.

PS-I can not even answer the vibration question. 1. If I new I would have it fixed, and 2. My Pat's are playing today and I only have so much emotion to use up before I completely pass out...!

Last edited:

chomondely

Reaction score
Where did you buy them?
I have 18k on my GY HP Wrangler255/18stock tires. Now, they are cupped and getting very noisy. While not a fan of the GYs, I drover a quite bit off road in cactus and mesquite w/o a flat.

pattyboy

Reaction score
I ordered them through Tirerak and then had them installed at a Goodyear dealer.

Shark_LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kumho's

Goodyears are garbage.

I've had Kumho's and liked them. The Ecsta STX might work - sizing is a bit off though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9