1996 LR Disco 1 head gasket replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PUNKslip

Reaction score
I got my old truck back the other day, after the guy I sold it to surrendered to the constant repair demands of owning a Land Rover. I ordered a head gasket set from Antlantic British and should be here by Friday. Any special "things" to be aware of? It looks like there is enough room to work in the engine bay, just looking for tips and things to avoid. The gasket is leaking out the side near the exhaust manifold. Makes a sound like a mouse in a blender when under a load.

John O.
1996 RR HSE P38 POS
1996 Land Rover Dico.........POS

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Two things to be aware of... one the factory style head gasket will leak again. Second buy new head bolts.

PUNKslip

Reaction score
.....gasket

Thanks. The gasket set I orderd has the newer composite style head gaskets, and the single use head bolts. Are these composite style head gaskets the ones that will leak?
John O

1923 T Bucket Roadster
2012 Hemi Ram RT
1965 Belvedere Big Block
1996 RR P38 HSE
1996 Disco 1

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If they are the newer style, then they shouldn't.

Jackison

Reaction score
Two things to be aware of... one the factory style head gasket will leak again. Second buy new head bolts.

PUNKslip

Reaction score
Got the gaskets replaced, along with new bolts. Took about 12 hours to do. The gaskets had been replaced before by the previous owner. The MASS airflow connector was/is bad causing it to run really bad, not sure if that might have had something to do with the head gasket.........detonation, etc. Used a ZIP tie to secure it and it runs smooth. It blew out near the exhaust side of the head.

John O.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99