1997 Discovery hates me PLEASE HELP...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbb1983

Reaction score

I have a 1997 Land Rover Discovery with 119,000 miles on it. I have had it since 112,000 miles. First mistake I should not have bought it from a friend. Since the purchase I have had the heater core replaced, or should I say I replaced it since my mechanic was not very good at it. I have also replaced the rear drivers side window regulator.

The list of problems I need help with ASAP:

1. There is a short in the lights, when I turn on my head lights only the headlights turn on, to have lights in the rear I must push in the rear fog lights. My fog lights in the front will not turn on. I also am having problems with the dashboard lights. The fuse blows about 2 mins after I put a new one in and the dash lights go back out. PLEASE HELP.

2. My check engine light is on, mechanic said I need a new cat, your advice please?

3. My ABS light is on what do I do to get it off? also when I press the brake pedal about every fifth time it is really hard t o press and springy and does not want to engage right away, kinda scary.

4. from about 5-40 mph I feel like I am riding a mountain bike down rocks it is very bumpy ride and everything is vibrating and rattling this also happens right before I hit 70mph. THIS IS VERY ANNOYING please help me.

5. THe radio reception sucks, where is the antenna located
at?

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Item 1 is a bad head light switch.. replace it.

Item 2, what code is the mechanic getting? If you plan to keep the Disco buy an obdii scanner.

Item 3, ABS in a rover is not the best, I fixed mine, but do not recommend my fix for anyone since it does disable the ABS perminantly.

Item 4, Sounds like the tires are either out of balance or bad.

Item 5, antenna is in the right rear window.... reception just sucks sorry.

Reconram

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem as Item 3. Mine's a 2000 Disco. Took it to the dealer and they had to replace the Master Cylinder and that took care of it.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, but the D2 and the D1 do not share much in the way of the ABS system... except the D1 can be fixed buy pulling a 30 amp fuse, and the D2 will just keep asking for money.

FFNPMcD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Joey ...
which fuse is it? does it turn out the ABS light? and finally does it take away abs alltogether?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I will have to double check the fuse, but I am pretty sure it is the second fuse on the right under the hood behind the battery... this will eliminate the ABS all together so do this at your own risk (i.e. I am not going to be liable if you do this) to turn the ABS light out.. you will still need to remove the bulb...

El Conde

Reaction score
OBD II Scanner?

Item 2, what code is the mechanic getting? If you plan to keep the Disco buy an obdii scanner.

Which OBD-II scanner works on a '97 Land Rover Discovery? I'd buy a scanner but I want to make sure to get one that works on my Land Rover.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MBB,
Shake the blue color, youi'l blend in better with the rest of us in black and white.

jastutte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not that i'm considering this, but if i were to pull the 30 amp fuse on my 96 discovery that disabled the abs would the abs work correctly again when i put the fuse back in so i could pass saftey inspection here in mo? damn, that was a long sentence.

thanks,

jeremiah

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9