1998 Disco 1 auto cutting out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

lipadi

My 98 Disco ES has started an annoying habit (probably auto-suggestion since I joined this forum!) of cutting out for no apparent reason and then being very difficult to restart. I have been solving the problem by opening the gas cap at which time there is generally a huge "whoosh" into the tank which make me think that some pipe or other ( that's about my technical level) isn't allowing air into the tank. Maybe the fule filters are also contributing to this.

Can anyone shed some light and give me pointers as to how to fix this?

Apart from 2 broken fuel pumps, a "spider" that had to be replaced and a belt tensioner pulley bearing that packed up all other issues I've had in more than 250 000 km have been annoying rather than immobilising. However, I would never venture into the bush without another vehicle since it is quite possible to get stuck and not see another vehicle for days in some of the remote places in Botswana and Namibia.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a fuel issue... I would say the fuel pump/fuel filter or even bad injectors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112