2000 DII Seatbelt Pretensioners keep going bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K

knuth1

It seems like the seatbelt pretensioners went bad 2 or 3 times while under warrenty and this last time it was the driver side and passenger side that went bad. Why do they keep going bad? It cost $600.00 to fix them because the warrenty went out. What's the deal with the pretensioner system on LR discovery II?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Never heard of this issue, of course I own a D1, but still... If they are that bad, look at going with a different pretensioner...?

K

knuth1

Ya...they have gone bad. The SRS light goes on (which can be many diff. things) and when they check the code I guess they determine it's the pretensioner as a part of the SRS system. I know if the SRS light goes on, the air bags can't deploy, so its important to keep the system running properly. I've looked on the internet a good bit and there doesn't seem to be a problem with DiscoII 2001. I have read though that most times when a pretensioner is creating an error code in the srs system, it is the connection under the seat. I read the connection can be cleaned (I believe they said spray/ clean with wd40). Then reset. I'm not a mechanic or anything, but I really like to atleast know the systems of my car so I know when a mechanic is blowing smoke.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
What a second, I heard of this issue.... the SRS light is coming on due to the plug for the seatbelt is getting pulled on under the seat. When you move the seat forward and back, the wires get pulled causing a short in the wires.... setting off the SRS light. If I recall correctly, you either need to loosen the wires up so the don't pull, or unplug and loop the plug so it always thinks the seatbelt is plugged in...

C

campbell

This is awesome news...
I just had the same thing happen on my 99 D2. Dealership said it was the seatbelt pre-tensioner for the driver's side. About $350 to fix. Apparantly the part alone is $275!

Joey, which connection do I need to look for under the seat?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, the wires should lead to the seat belt assy. Since I don't own a D2, I don't recall the specifics, but I do remember reading this somewhere.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635