2001 discovery II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chad420

Reaction score
I purchased a used 2001 Discovery series II with 54,000 on it(My first land Rover purchase). The truck has run great until recently. The truck has a slight vibration at slow speeds and goes away at higher speed. I also have a clunking noise when i shift the truck into reverse and drive and when driving and letting off the gas i get a clunk...I have no idea what this could be..Some people have told me I need to replace the U Joints and others have told me that its the front driveshaft because the front U joints aren't replaceable...Anuy suggestions as to the problem would be greatly appreciated...

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with whoevers thoughts on the U-joints. The D2 does not have greasable front u-joints, so what happens is the Catylitic converters over heat the grease in the front-rear u-joint causing it to fail. When it does completely fail it will destroy the front of the transfer case and possible the transmission. If it were my vehicle I would replace all 4 of the U-joints as soon as possible. The are only approximately $6 a piece and if you can do the work 20 minutes each, if you can't it shouldn't cost much to get the work done.

chad420

Reaction score
brought it into the shop and they are replacing the whole front driveshaft....

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Ouch, bet that wasn't cheap.

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's rather cheap. Did they replace with a rebuilt driveshaft? I'm finding driveshafts alone are around $450.00, at the least.

I too am having the same noises from time to time. 2000 DII. Who did your work and where are you located? Near Chicago?

JG

chad420

Reaction score
the shop is called RC Trans and Gear located in Royal Oak Michigan....Phone number is 248-288-5575...I dont know where he got the driveshaft from but my entire family has gone too him and he does excellent work....The driveshaft was $265 with shipping and he chargeed me $50 for install...

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks - that might be a little too far of a drive though. Sounds like you've got yourself a trusty shop. That's priceless...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72