An unwelcome feature?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think my car is behaving in anyway erratically, but there is a feature that I really do not like, and wonder if there is a work around to prevent it.

It's the auto lock down thing. My "testing" is not complete, so I don't know all the conditions in which this occurs, but I know it occurs under the following conditions:

1. Leave key in ignition, in Accessory mode (for example, to listen to radio while washing car).
2. Close doors in unlocked mode (specifically hit the unlock button for example)
3. After a period of time, radio will stop, and doors will lock!
4. Driver is outside car empty handed with a locked vehicle. I had to retrive my wife's spare key to get back in.

Last night I was working on the rear end (installed a ladder!), with radio on, doors closed, rear hatch open. I had turned off the dome lights manually (love that button!), After a period of time, everything shut down, and doors all locked again...except the rear hatch. I had my son crawl through and unlock the doors.

Another time I was at an outdoor activity out in the boonies with my friends, had window down. Key removed but on dash. Doors manually unlocked. Come back to my car, all doors locked again. Fortunately, window was down could retrieve my key. I was far off the beaten path, AAA would NOT have come to my rescue.

I have been lucky three times now. I am quite positive this "feature" will leave me stranded at some point.

Is there a way to turn off this auto lock down feature?

L

lr3junkie

I think I saw it in the setting menu which is accessed by the button on the turn signal stalk.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need to leave the key in to turn the radio on. Problem solved. :smile:

I (personally) have never left the key in the ignition for more than a few minutes. But it has never "auto locked" on me. It only auto locks on drive off (if enabled)... or if you unlock the door with the fob and don't open the door for a period of time (this is to prevent "unlock" mistakes).

Only the drive-away auto lock can be turned off/on.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I have not noticed this.

A similar annoyance I have, though, is that you can not use the AUX jack (to listen to an ipod for instance) without the key in the ignition. You can turn on the radio, but no sound comes out for me when in AUX. (there is a small chance that my Belkin needs DC power to transfer the audio signal, which brings up another "feature" I don't like...there are no "always ON" DC accessory jacks!). Did I mention how short the battery life is if you don't have the engine running? Now you got me started..... :)

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Belkin adapter needs DC. Easy to check... pull it out of the power port and you'll notice the audio mutes even though it's still plugged into AUX. :smile: So, AUX input works fine on "battery only."

Last edited by a moderator:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grommet said:
Yes, the Belkin adapter needs DC. Easy to check... pull it out of the power port and you'll notice the audio mutes even though it's still plugged into AUX. :smile: So, AUX input works fine on "battery only."

Drat!

Well, that brings my back to my AUX power gripe....

Thanks. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9