Any good aftermarket valve covers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey All!

So, after doing the chains and a whole lot of other items, I noticed my right valve cover is still leaking. Yes, it has both new cover gasket and bolt gaskets, and yes I used the proper sealant on the upper timing covers and where they contact the valve cover.

I know for a fact that my valve cover was a little warped as I watched it "settle" as I torqued the bolts to spec. Aka it was bowed up in the middle and had to be pushed down and out during the torquing sequence.

I'm toying with just replacing it, or possibly just pulling it and sealing the whole thing with RTV or something...which can be problematic if I need to remove it again.

I don't like the price tag on the OEM covers, and it appears as though there are some decent brands making them for 1/3 the cost...TRQ and Beck Arnley just to name a couple. Has anyone ever tried these? Given the large PITA nature of removing the valve covers, I DON'T want to swap the covers, only to have to do it again in a year.

Thoughts and/or experiences?

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd put it on a flat table in a lot of light and see if its tweaked. You could use a straight edge along the sides too. Even new covers may not be perfect and when cinching it down flex is normal. I've used Permatex RTV black with gaskets and then let it fully cure and then some before starting the engine with good results on different V8's. I use alcohol to clean the surfaces in prep before applying RTV back.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have to admit, I'm kinda leaning towards a little RTV and see...

It definitely beats the $250 price tag for one OEM valve cover. I debated a used one for about 1 second as they'll probably be in the same condition.

Separate question, anyone know how many times you can remove and install the injectors before you need to replace the teflon rings? FYI, I replaced my injectors with the timing chains...so they've only got about 5K miles on them...if that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72