Audio wires from factory CD changer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ericksd

Reaction score
Here is the short:

Can anyone point me in the right direction in order to identify the wires that carry the audio coming from the factory CD changer to the head unit?

Here is the long:

Since the factory head unit in my 1999 Discovery 2 has no aux inputs, I have to hook up my new Roady 2 XM receiver using the tape adaptor, or use the built in FM modulator to broacast an FM signal to the factory head unit. Both suck for sound quality.

I have been looking at these Blitzsafe cables that attach where the factory CD changer interface cable normally would. The new cable has 1 set of aux jacks on it for an additional input device. You can then swtich between the changer and the new device using a key combination on the head unit.

I really need two sets of aux jacks (another for a hard drive music system), so I found a second harness to attach to the Blitzsafe.

The cables alone are pushing $200, and I would also need to buy a new CD changer (with cable) because the original cable will not fit the Blitzsafe!

Rather than spending all the money for these cables, I am thinking that I could just connect the the audio wires comming from the changer and wire them into a 3 way switch box (Radio Shack maybe), select "CD" on the head unit and then use the switch to select either the XM, hard drive or the original changer.

The changer would be playing no matter what, but I don't really care.

I just need to figure out which wires to cut and bring into the switchbox.

Help,

Dan

Last edited:

ericksd

Reaction score
Blitzsafe cable (part # LROV/ALP DMX LROVALPDMXV1D) $130
Soundgate AUX3 Multiple Auxiliary Input Switching Interface (part # Aux 3) $60
Both from logjamelectronics.com.
Blitzsafe plugs into the back of the existing head unit (where the CD changer cable would normally go).
AUX 3 plugs into the RCA connectors on the Blitzsafe adaptor.
You can then plug 3 different audio devices into the RCA connectors on the AUX 3.
If you want to have a CD changer, you will have to give up the factory one and get a newer model like the Alpine CHM-S630. The newer changer has an M-Bus connector that is compatible with the connection on the Blitzsafe.

terryderlo

Reaction score
Hi, newbie here. This is exactly what I'm looking for but the link in the previous post is dead. Any ideas where this information is ? Looking for pin assignments for circa 2000 D2 cd changer to tap into. Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cummins