burning water, HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leaky98

Reaction score
i am new to the range rover and i am hoping one of you can help me.
I have a 98 Range rover with a 4.0 engine. i bought this thing because it was burning water and i got it dirt cheap. it did have some water in the oil but only after the previous owner had been driving it for a good week after it started burning water. i figured a head gasket or at worst a cracked head.

well i pulled the entire top end apart sent the heads to a shop, had them pressure checked and resurfaced. one of them was slightly warped. they pressure checked good so i figured it was the warped head giving me problems. none of the cylinder sleeves were dropped and no visible cracks in the block. i reassemble the engine as per the manual. new gaskets, new head bolts, the works. it started fine, i filled it with coolant and sure enough it started smoking again.

Any ideas on were this thing is getting water in the cylinders? i thought maybe a cracked intake manifold but i wanted some more opinions before i start parting this thing out.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Unless I am mistaken, I was always taught water in the oil was a cracked block.

Either way, oil in the water is a bad thing.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Correct it doesn't always mean a cracked block, but it is the normal indicator.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72