Changing rear brakes now - some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to the brakes... That is a significant difference in pad wear from the inner to the outter pad.
Make sure the caliper guide pins are thoroughly lubed. Also did you inspect the caliper piston boot for rips?

I have done (myself) the brakes a total of 3 time. I always get consistent wear, within 1mm, for the inner and outter pad (front or rear).
Seems that there may be some others factors going on here.

The fluid can range in color from green, to orand, to reddish, to outright brown. As long as there isn't any signs of water, then you are OK.

Everything was fine with the brake assembly (boot, piston, etc). In my experience there is always one wearing more than the other (which is why they tell you not to rely on the wear of the outside/visible pad), but I've never seen that much of a difference.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of updates to this thread since I just referenced it on two other threads...

I ended up replacing the front pads this past fall of 2018 - two years and about 8k miles after I did the pads in the front. The rotors still looked perfectly fine though I did not measure them. I still have no squeals at all and everything feels fine.

At 34k miles now, I expect to do rear pads+rotors fall of 2020, when I should be in the low to mid-40k miles.

Also, an updated photo of my (supper messy) garage with the LR4 up on the lift. I was trying to spot my coolant leak at the time.

Note the cardboard discs under the tires: The LR4 is so heavy and has so much suspension travel that if I just lower it directly on the Racedeck tiles, the tire angle puts enough lateral load on the tiles to unsnap-them and create a wave of tiles. Ask me how I know. It was a PITA. So with the cardboard disks, the tires just slide into position. An alternative is to soak the area under the tires with water, but the discs work bets and create less mess.

IMG_9587.JPG

Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of updates to this thread since I just referenced it on two other threads...

Thanks for your input on my other brake thread. Also, your photo made me miss my Stornaway Gray 2011. Man I loved that color. Santorini Black is cool but I've always loved deep gray vehicles because they always look clean between washes. Your rig looks cool on the lift.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input on my other brake thread. Also, your photo made me miss my Stornaway Gray 2011. Man I loved that color. Santorini Black is cool but I've always loved deep gray vehicles because they always look clean between washes. Your rig looks cool on the lift.

Thanks. It's shown there with the winter wheels/tires. The rest-of-the-year wheels are the factory black package 19" wheels. I will be throwing out the OEM Contis this spring and putting on new Terraincontact AT Conti's.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It's shown there with the winter wheels/tires. The rest-of-the-year wheels are the factory black package 19" wheels. I will be throwing out the OEM Contis this spring and putting on new Terraincontact AT Conti's.

I know a lot of guys love the black pack but I'm a fan of the alloy finish. I have these same rims on my 2013. Also a fan of the TerrainContact A/T's since I got them in December. I've put 5K on them since then in a mix of around town, 1,350 road trip to VT, and a bit of snow driving. I like the way they perform and look so far. I've got a couple of intermediate-level trail rides coming up this spring and will report back on how they do.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yeah I love the color o the one in this thread and with grey paint I actually prefer silver or aluminum accent trim and wheels. Our Audi S4 avant is Dolphin Grey and the silver and gunmetal silver wheel sets look perfect, even 11 years on now from new.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uuggh. I wish I had that much height in the garage.

I have a lift I use to stack cars, but limited to 10 feet so the Rover can't get very high.

That is a nice setup.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9