Child Seat Location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F

funkeruski

Just wondering how many here put their child seat in the middle. I know there are no latch anchors for the middle position, but I did it using the two closest to the middle. When done this way, the latch anchors are farther apart than they would be in the outer positions, and it seems to me that the buckle on my child seat slips and does not keep tight. I have moved the seat to the window position but, frankly, I'd much rather have the little one in the middle for crash safety concerns. Just wondering if others have had similar problems when the seat is placed in the middle. Thanks for the info.

A

alanmeyer

funkeruski said:
Just wondering how many here put their child seat in the middle. I know there are no latch anchors for the middle position, but I did it using the two closest to the middle. When done this way, the latch anchors are farther apart than they would be in the outer positions, and it seems to me that the buckle on my child seat slips and does not keep tight. I have moved the seat to the window position but, frankly, I'd much rather have the little one in the middle for crash safety concerns. Just wondering if others have had similar problems when the seat is placed in the middle. Thanks for the info.
I have 2 young kids (2 yrs & 6 mos). One sits on the side using the LATCH anchors, and one sits in the middle using the seat belt as the securing mechanism. I haven't tried to use the side anchors for the middle seat, as you have.

I want to use the middle seat position because I want access to the 3rd row. Leaving at least 1 of the side seats open allows passengers to get in/out of the 3rd row.

If I only had 1 child, I'd still suggest the side because of the anchors, but I understand that the safest place is in the middle. So, if the side anchors don't work for the middle seat, then I'd suggest that you use the seat belt to secure the seat, which works fine for me.

-Alan

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also use center and side often, for easy access to rear seating.

The LATCH mounts in the front are no safer than using the seatbelt. In fact, they have a lower weight maximum. I can put a seat in just as fast using the seatbelt instead of LATCH... and it doesn't "slip" with the Britax seats I've used.

Anyway, a tiny bit of movement won't cause it to come loose...

X

xcursion

I've also got 2 carseats in the back, both on the sides. I do this mainly it's easier to put the kids in and out of the car. On rare occasions when I need the third row seats, then I slide one to the middel to free up the access. Both of my carseats use the seatbelt and they are just fine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635