Clattering noise in 95 Disco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Dominiq

At about 185,000 mi. I developed an intermittent clatter sound in the engine that has been running Mobil Synthetic oil since 75,000 mi. and at 192,0000 changed out the rocker shafts and rocker arms, as several people thought that the clatter was a result of bad lifters (tappets) or worn shafts and or rocker arms. The sound persists but is not noticeable at startup, when, I assume the oil is thicker. I am considering the possibility that the problem is the oil pump. Any thoughts?

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so you got 185K but you replaced rocker shafts at 192K? eh? :)

Which oil you running (numbers, not brand)? And yes, it can very well be rockers chattering. Are you sure you oriented them properly when installed new ones? They are side oriented, you see. Overwise they aint lubricated properly.

Militant-Grunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if im about to hijack ur thread, but i also have a clattering noise in my 95' disco, at around 3k RPM some shaking metal noise comes from the area of oil filter/ belts I have no clue what it is. Im kind of afriad to floor it now =/

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Matt - Mike recommended flushing it with ATF in one of threads to cure chattering rockers. However in your case it can be something as simple as bearing on tensioner pulley - have you tried to locate noise source with stetoscope or screwdriver or something?

D

Dominiq

I use the red Mobil One, which I believe is 20-50, and I am in Santa Monica, California. I did orient the rocker arms properly, left and right. Do you think it might be the oil pressure or oil pump, or the tappets?
dominiq

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an old expression...."Don't put new wine into and old wine-skin, lest it burst" When you replaced the rocker assembly, there are newer metal to older metal worn parts that have no option but to make thier presence known...in this case, with noise. An adjustment is probably in line, or it is an all-together foreign problem. (no pun intended).........get out the stethescope, and put your ear to the problem....it might be a very simple fix....or it might be time to install that new motor you have been thinking about! Hope it all works out,,,keep us informed.

D

Dominiq

I will get a stethoscope and listen to it, but the noise was not increased with the installation of the new rocker assembly and in fact, immediately after I installed it (after the initial startup clatter) the engine sounded gorgeous for a few miles. Becasue it is intermittent to some degree it appears that the problem is either an oil pressure problem, the tappets, or the cam shaft? :biggrin:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9