Defender 300Tdi Steering / Stall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

W

wamccutcheon

Hi,

My 1997 Tdi has a steering issue. If you are driving along, say a motorway, there seems a hell of a lot of play before the wheels actually turn?

I remember having this issue on a defender (1986) and I think it was the steering box? Does anybody have any clues as to why there is such a gap in between? I would hazard a guess and say that the tolerance is about 2-3 inches, which is a lot!

I would appreciate any ideas as I have only had for a day and want to resolve as it is quite a bugg** to drive on motorways and I feel it may be something a little severe.

Also, has anyone had any issues when approaching a roundabout or junction where if you put your foot on the brake and depress the clutch, the engine stalls? I thought it was the way I was driving at first, but the revs do drop quite low and sometimes, not always, it stalls, which can get a little tricky as you can imagine. Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure on the stalling part, but steering does sound like the box.... you can always tighten it up a little. should be a set screw on top with a lock nut. Loosen the nut, and turn the screw clockwise 1/4 turn, try a quick drive to make sure it isn't to tight... repeat as needed... just make sure to tighten the lock nut each and every time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72