Discovery 1 High Range/Low Range 4x4 Shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F

FunkyFresh

I have a 97 Discovery SD with automatic transmission and I can't figure out how to work the 4x4 shifter. I put the car in neutral and move the 4x4 shifter to the left and it engages 4x4 mode, but it's all the way to the bottom left, so I assume it's in high range. I can't figure out how to shift it into low range. When I put it back to the right it goes back to normal driving mode. How do you shift the knob into low range or is mine stuck or something? I need some help on how to operate it because the I read the owners manual and the wording is vague, so it didn't help me. Please explain how to shift. It seems like it's stuck in high range. The shifter is all the way to the bottom. I can move it left and right but I can't figure out how to move it up.

N

NHESS81

Locked Low Unlocked Low

Locked High Unlocked High

You ALWAYS want it in unlocked high for driving on pavement that is grippy, and when not towing. Low for towing or up/down steep hills with grip

The only difference with locked is that you use it when you will be getting wheel slip over the surfaces you are driving on.

Ok, first off, your Land Rover is PERMANENT four wheel drive, with open differentials front, center, and rear. We can engage a permanently locking center differential (that is what you are referring to as the 4x4 shifter). This forces 50/50 split of engine power front and rear--note, you can still get stuck if both wheels on your front and both wheels on your rear axle get no traction.

What I do to shift to low range is to drive forward...at less than 5 MPH, then put your MAIN gear selector into Neutral, then you can move your CDL selector 'up/forward' to the Low position, then put the main gearbox back into Drive. You CAN go from low unlocked to low locked at any speed, and high unlocked to high locked at any speed, and vice versa (as long as you are in a straight line and all the wheels are turning at the same speed), but I do not like to do this much, so I keep rolling forward at less than 5mph for any and all CDL changes I make. Hope that helps out a little bit, and remember you are locking the center differential, not engaging '4x4 mode' lol its a pet peeve of mine....

*secondary note, who owned this truck before you? Did they EVER engage a locked center differential? Disco 1's have a bad habit of 'freezing' up if not used, or engaged once a week really....http://home.twcny.rr.com/eeibooks/rover/discodifflock.htm i hope that is not your case, because i hear it is not a very fun task whatsoever

*also, the gate is an H pattern, just incase you are a little confused. With it back in high unlocked you should not be able to move it side to side, you have to put the CDL into neutral before that, just clarifying that

*also, when you put the CDL into neutral, do you get a buzzer/warning sound from the vehicle? You should. If you dont, i wonder if your CDL solenoid is working correctly--...

Last edited by a moderator:
F

FunkyFresh

Ahhh... ok. Thanks. I'm going to try that. I bought it used from someone. I don't know how much they used the 4x4 gears though. I hope it's not stuck. I'm going to try what you said though.

F

FunkyFresh

Okay thanks alot for the advice. It shifted into low unlocked with no trouble at all. I just wasn't sure how.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is sort of an H pattern -- but you can shift from, say, high open to high locked without putting the transfercase in neutral first. You can lock the CDL on the fly.

F

FunkyFresh

oh okay because I thought I might have broken it doing that

N

NHESS81

The manual states you can shift to low while parked, and 'blipping' the tranny into drive, but i have never been lucky enough to have the gears meet up right or whatever, so i have to be moving forward..so you can just move the CDL to the left? should you put the mainbox in neutral before locking this way? i had no idea... :-/

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can just shift into locked mode, whether you're in low or high. That permits you to more rapidly enhance traction while driving.

I usually have to be rolling forward to go H to L, and most of the time from L to H too.

M

Mark

It Works as Stated!!!

NHESS81, what a simple and informative response. I am embarrassed that I was not able to understand this earlier.

I was always trying to set the Diff lock from the neutral position AND I kept forgetting to engage the brake...

After reading your post I went out to the Rover, and shifted from Hi- Hi-lock moving (slowly) down the street. I was very pleased it worked, especially when I went back to Hi and the light and buzzer worked properly -- No light - No noise.

Then I tried the Low gear.

For two years I never understood this, now I do.

Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM