Driver Door Lock Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

damnskippy

Reaction score
Hi all,

It's been awhile but I finally purchased a 2004 Discovery SE with 29,000 miles on it. It's the bonetti grey with alpaca interior and I really love it. It has 2 years complete Land Rover warranty on it, BUT, I live 4 hours to closest Land Rover dealer. Paid $14,000.

When I was first locking doors with remote key, all doors locked. I've noticed today that all lock except for the driver door. Even after putting vehicle in drive when all the doors lock automatically, they all lock but not driver door.

Is this an easy fix? Hope so. Again, I'm 4 fours from a dealership otherwise I'd just drive there. Anything I should try?

Thanks,
A.J.

2004 Disco SE
30,000 miles

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you lock it with the key? If so, then it may be just a loose wire. If not do you see it move at all when it is locked?

Not a bad price by the way.

damnskippy

Reaction score
Hiya Joey,

Yes, It only took me about 5 1/2 months to find the one to buy but I think I did pretty good.

Regarding the lock on driver door, yes, I am able to lock it with a key. If this is a loose wire problem, I'll need to remove interior part of door (I know there are 2 main screws that go through the door handle), but what I do after that and what I look for I am not sure.:confused: Any assistance would be appreciated.

Did you ever find a sports car? I remember awhile back you writing that you were maybe looking for one.

Best,
A.J.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Currently I have 2 houses that I am paying for.... can't get my sports car till after I sell one then catch back up on my savings again. Planning on a Lotus Elise or Exige.

Could be a wire issue. When you lock/unlock the drivers door with the key, does it lock/unlock all the other doors?

damnskippy

Reaction score
Hi again,

Yes, when I lock driver door with key, all other doors lock...as well as unlock with key.

A Lotus, how cool that would be!

Thanks!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, if all are locking/unlocking with the key, then it may not be a wire issue, it may be the BECM may need a boot to the head (a visit to the dealer for a quick update) Nothing to worry about as long as you don't mind using your key.

damnskippy

Reaction score
Hi Joey,

Have not been able to spend much time on computer...but got your reply:

"Ok, if all are locking/unlocking with the key, then it may not be a wire issue, it may be the BECM may need a boot to the head (a visit to the dealer for a quick update) Nothing to worry about as long as you don't mind using your key."

Forgive my stupidity but I don't know what BECM means or what it means to boot it to the head (I am extreme newbie). If you could provide a little better explanation, it would be most appreciated. As far as going to a dealer, closest dealer is 4 hours away. There is a local shop who can do some stuff, I don't know what it would cost to get this fixed or how big a problem it is.

Luckily I can lock with key but would rather have remote do it.

Also, I hear my breaks sqeaking and am wondering what that is all about. Any thoughts? They seem to be working just fine. I suppose I should search this forum to see other postings.

Let me know about that door lock if you can....and Thanks! A.J.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The BECM is the Body Electronic Control Module, by a boot to the head, I mean a reset of the system. Most places do not have the LR specific computer software to do this... they either have to be a LR repair shop or someone local that has a lot of money to spend on software.

Brakes sqeaking may be the brake pads wearing out... or just brake dust. I would have them checked (sears will do it for free)

damnskippy

Reaction score
How were you able to assertain that the door lock is probably not a loose wire problem, is it because other doors are locking ok? Just wondering.

Thanks again Joey!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, since the door locks are all wired together, if the using the key locks and unlocks all the doors, and you do not see the drivers door lock even attempt to move when using the remote that tells me it is a wiring issue.

If you had said that all the doors lock/unlock with the key, and with the remote they will all unlock, but the drivers door will not lock then I would have said it is the lock actuator that was the issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM