Freaked out about rear air shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brillo Pad

Reaction score
Incase anyone out there experience a similar problem:

So my Wife, daughter and I strapped into the Disco (2001 series II) last Sunday to head over to my folks house for the day. As I started backing out of the driveway I noticed that when going over bumps the rear end of the vehicle was floating up and down like a boat. I immediately started to panicky that the airshocks had gone bad. I've heard they can be expensive to repair and that in most cases you’re better off to just make the conversion to standard springs and shocks if they get toasted.
I was attempting to play it cool that it shouldn't be a big deal (my wife despises the disco as she thinks it's more than we need and guzzles too much gas - she's right, but screw it, I love the thing and I'm keepin' it!) all the while trying figure out how I'm going to deal with this. I remembered that the night before I was under the hood trying to follow the electric lines for the Hella fog lamps back to the console trying to find a short because I still haven't been able to get them to work - which took me in the neighborhood of the under-hood fuse box. I made a quick stop by Advanced Auto and told my wife I'd only be a few minutes fixing this. I popped the hood and sure enough found that the fuse to the rear suspension height adjustment had blow. Not sure how I managed to do this, but was still very happy to find the problem and show my wife how handy I am at saving a buck. I ran in the store, bought two fuses, popped one into the fuse panel and turned the ignition and pressed the suspension adjustment button on the dash to re-level it …nothing… but more bouncy bouncy down the road.
Now I'm really freaking out. So we bounce the rest of the way to my folks house with my wife glaring at me as she's now picking up on the fact that this is going to cost a lot of money. So in a last ditch effort we get to my folks house and I pop the hood again, see the new fuse had blown right away, and without much hope of accomplishing anything but blowing another fuse I put the 2nd new fuse in, but this time left the vehicle turned off for about 15 minutes.
What happened next was while it was turned off I could hear a few hisses and burps coming from the rear of the vehicle for the next 10 minutes or so, and low-and-behold, the rear end raised up and hasn't been a problem sense. Wife is even more ****** now at how please I am with myself for fixing it quickly and cheaply :proud:

Lesson of this story: if the fuse for the rear air shocks blows, let the vehicle sit for a while before starting it to get it re-leveled.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4