Good Morning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tickler19

Reaction score
Hey Guys..

I have a question that i'm hoping can get answered. I have an 03 Freelander with 102k on it, or 63000 miles for you imperial folks. I believe the lifters are starting to or have already gone on it. The guy that services my vehicle has decided that we will change the oil three times every 2000k before we get into any more costly repairs. It sounds great for the first 1200k after changing the oil. Then, that deathly sounds comes back with a vegence. I run strictly Mobil 1 OW/40 in it. My question is, has anyone has a problem like this, and what was your final remedy to fix it. any info would be great.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If this is a petrol model, then your lifters are the least of your worries... my recommendation is change the oil and trade it off while it still sounds good. You need a new engine, the Freelanders are known for engine issues.

tickler19

Reaction score
thanks for info

to answer your question, yes it is the petrol engine.

Shermie

Reaction score
Ditto.... the engine in my 2002 SE failed dramatically and suddenly at 83kmiles.

The motor began making a strange noise at around 53k miles, like metal pieces grinding. It would disappear when warmed-up.

When the mechanics pulled open the motor to check what happened, it was the camshaft mechanisn, the gear mechanism simply broke apart into pieces and froze the motor.

If you motor ever even slighly overheated due to the standard and systematic Freelander disappearing coolant syndrome, these KV6 engines will develop problems with the Cylinder head liners.

Even though I treated the engine to 0w-40 Mobil1 every 5000 to 7000 miles, never overheated, never missed a regular maintenance appointment at the LR dealer, the engine internals somehow also failed me.

If you can sell the car while it is still running, do so. I waited too long to make that decision.

Also be aware that the Jatco Automatic transmission box is another famous source of trouble with the Solenoids and internals. If your Freelander is not currently 'slipping' gears and going into a fault (F1 or F4 fault codes flashing on the dash) then you are a very lucky owner and a prime candidate for a trade-in.

I was not so lucky and ended up living the full 5-1/2 years with a money-pit. In hindsight, I should have purchasedv a boat instead, at least I would have known in advance where my money would eventually end-up. The ocean is much nicer than the Land Rover Service Centre account.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72