GPS antenna install on D90 soft top

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

mlundquist

I am purchasing a 1995 D90 soft top and will use a Garmin Streetpilot III. I want to install an external low profile antenna, but am not sure of the best place to mount it (and run wiring for it). I'm not doing any real offroading with this vehicle, just city driving, so I won't have any special mounts or brackets on the outside other than the U.S.-standard A-frame mounted external roll bar. Any ideas?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Not to sound ignorant, but with a soft top, why would you need an external antenna?

If it is a must, I would route via the firewall and place it on the fender. But not sure this is going to get any better reception than the unit inside will.

M

mlundquist

The issue is running with the top on. The near vertical windshield makes it challenging to get decent GPS reception. I have a Disco now and even the rake of that windshield makes GPS reception more challenging (relative to a conventional car's more steeply raked windshield).

With a soft top, there isn't any good place to mount a low profile antenna (which usually attach via screws or a magnet), other than the hood or A-frame roll bar, while maintaining the waterproof integrity of the canvas top. All the installations I have seen mount them at the back of a hard top D90. Haven't seen any on a soft top yet.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joey, it's not a metal top that interferes. GPS needs line of site to work, so even though the top is cloth, it still won't work.

ML, can you mount on the spare tire carrier? Would it work only seeing 1/2 the sky?

M

mlundquist

The spare tire carrier may be a possibility, as long as it is on the fixed portion. Regarding seeing 1/2 the sky, that works as long as the GPS picks up at least four satellites (there are generally about eight or so available at any given time).

L

LandRoverDirectService

Regarding this matter I would recommend mounting the GPS reciever near the radio aerial, which is on the front wing. You can then run the wiring through alongside the radio aerial, and straight through the bulkhead. This would probably be the best location for it. If you do not have an aerial (I can't remember the the NAS spec has the aerial slot on the right or the left) try mounting it near the top of the bonnet near the windscreen and bulkhead.

Best Wishes

S

szmgkj

Hello,
I also have one defender Soft Top and a Garmin Streetpilot III, and I have installed one external antenna for my GPS on a "L inverted" support made by me over the door, fixed on the metal part where the water flows (I don't know the name of taht part).
If you want some pictures of it please send me an e-mail.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72