High milage oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

montanablur

At the local auto store, (where all the sudden they're my new best friends) I noticed a high milage synthetic blend specially for high milage engines... It's pricey, but anything to help "Frosty" out... Any opinions good or bad?

outdoorfever

Reaction score
on my yota, i use synthetic high mileage. it does cost a lot, costs a ton, and onyour rover i am not sure if its recommended. At least the synthetic, since it breaks up all the old gunk from yrs of build up causing more leaks, yikes! I have yet to have any problems with mine and I am not for sure what brand oil land rover recommends but I usuallly use Castrol high mileage or something to that effect, gl.

D

discomike

I would rather stay with frequent oil changes and one good engine flush a year for what I believe will give you the same results for less money.
Mike J.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An alternative, if you want to break up all the old junk, is to use a multigrade (i.e., diesel engine) oil such as Shell Rotella T. That plus a cleaned oil pan and pickup screen can do wonders for the junk level in your crankcase...

M

montanablur

That makes sense... This is the formula I'm thinking, 20-50w with a quart of Lucas additive... Change every 2500 miles... Should be good...

D

discomike

I do a 1/2 qt. of Lucas and 20/50 Castrol every 3000 with no signs of carbon build up.
Mike J.

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Valvoline 10/40 stabilised w/Lucas, but I'm considering the "Rotella" factor. It has been used in both our gas & diesel service trucks for years now, but they are all junk fords. (I'm not just knocking fords again, our service trucks are true salvage. The company buys them that way) Does the Rover V8 like Rotella? Our oil change stations were shocked when our mechanic spec'ed Rotella for our gas engines. They called it "Diesel Oil" Any good luck w/ it out there? I plan to drive my "Wifes" Rover @ least a 1/2 million miles & anything I can do that will help, I will. Thank You, LRW.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far, so good -- 3000 miles and about to change for the first time, so we'll see what it looks like.

I'll update in this thread, but I will say this. My "sometimes" engine ticking is gone, and it seemed to run cooler on my road trip in mid-July despite some harsh conditions.

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Andy! and keep us posted. I'm obsessive-compulsive about motor oil, gear oil, grease, and even spray lube for that matter. I have used Valvoline for years now, having switched from Castrol after 2 engine failures. (1 oil pump,1 ****** bearing) I realise all engines will wear out, but I did expect more than 114,000 mi. before pump failure.(ford motor co. had "repaired" under warranty @ 20,000 mi.) The ****** bearing went @ 171,000 in GM V6, to be expected. Prior to Castrol I used Kendall, but it is no longer available in our area. I once drove a V8 Dodge 318 28 mi. w/oil pump drive shaft broken, got a little lifter noise, thought gage wasn't working. Replaced shaft, drove another 140,000 mi. then sold it. That was w/ Kendall oil, havn't tried it w/ other brands. Thank You, LRW.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM