How easy is to crack the Discovery´s Engine Block?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuyrdzc

Reaction score
Hi guy's, well I have had the same problem on and on with my 2002 Discovery, about two weeks ago I sent it again to the dealer and they have diagnosed it that the engine block had a big crack and that was causing my car to vibrate when I started it and when it ran on 1rst gear. I guess that It is not likely that the car had that problem because it had gone to the dealer at least 4 times before with the same problem and they did not noticed that.
The only good thing is that they will change the hole engine within the warranty. Any way is it possible for the engine block to crack? And if so under what circumstance?
I have come across with the idea of changing my 2002 for a 2004 Discovery.
What do you guys think?

Last edited:
D

discomike

A cracked block is just that, it is cracked, it is leaking and should hardily be able to run. Are the any leaks? I really question their call and I have worked for dealers for years as a service writer and manager.
Mike J.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cracked block or cracked dealer?

chuyrdzc, they must have x-ray eyes, the older 3.9's were prone to cracks that can't be seen, slow coolant loss that can't be found. Yes the 4.0 could crack also but it's rare unless you over heated the engine. If that happened the cylinder liners could slip in the block. Seen many motors that ran for years and had cracks but ran well.Sounds like a small shop looking for warranty work, it's clean money for them. They will replace the short block only, you'll get the bill on head bolts, gaskets and many other items. I'll bet you will still see a bill over $2,000 plus dollars. I know as i had 7/100,000 extended warranty and after paying the difference from 3.9 to 4.6 short block, labor and parts i had a bill of $ 5,400. Warranty didn't cover alot of items. Read up and be careful. Carl.......................................o&o>............................

chuyrdzc

Reaction score
I guess As you guys say It is a bad call from the mechanics at the Dealer. But the reality is that they are very incompetent. And the problem is that I'm stuck with them because My Disco was bought in a Mexican Dealership and I'm stuck with the Mexican Land Rover Warranty.
It is very sad but that's the only thing I have, is either let them change the hole engine under warranty (cero cost to me) or take it to the Land Rover Dealer in Albuquerque and expect to pay... to pay a big bill
Now a new question arises. If they change the hole Engine, what do I have to be looking for in order to see if they did not damaged anything else?

In my desperation I might tell them to take my 2002 Disco and sell me a 2004. :confused:

Thanks for your post's guys

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude you getting new engine. What you dont like about getting new engine? :)

chuyrdzc

Reaction score
Update on Problem with my disco.

They are changin the Engine under warranty at no cost for me.
At least I can say it will be almost as new! :help:

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sold my 2001 after they replaced my engine....too reliable for me. So i just bought this really cool 95 that runs just as well. This is my 100th post, so I'm glad to encourage you with your new motor! Just be sure to ask them to clean up your heads (ask them to really check valves, etc.) even if you need to spend a little cash out of pocket for a few up-grades? ask them what they might suggest. you might even port and polish?! best to you. Anthony

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New motor not free

Redrover51, before the dealer yanked the crank with motor still in the vehicle to cure rear main leak for the 5th time i had a exhaust stick and burn two weeks before. The extended insurance would pay only $88 to fix the one bad valve. Told them the other head gasket leaked also so the pulled the other head. I sent both heads to Tim Morgan a top fuel boat racer friend and machine shop owner. He has done many Rover heads and has a cure not a patch like Rover. After port matching the performance increase was like a hotter cam alone. Yes head bolts and gaskets you will be billed. Carl...o&o>..

markthecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate dealers. I can't say it enough. I hate dealers. I had the side view mirror knocked off by a car hitting it. Not the housing just the mirror. They told me I had to replace entire unit. 189.99. Found part at Atlantic British $2.98. It took me 30 seconds to install. I found this shop owned by these Russian mechs, they are unbeleivable. Nice enough to help me out with problems I can take care of myself, but stubborn enough to tell me when I'm over my head. Search for a new mech.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72