How to break in a Discovery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:creep: I am not positve about how to break in a Discovery after a new engine. What I have been taught is that you need to drive under 60 mph for 1,000 miles without harsh accelerations. Is this what you guys have been taught?

D

discomike

Safe way to go, the dealers have always mentioned a similiar version which is, never go over 60 or so, and if you are driving at highway speeds vary your speeds by 5mph every 1/2 hour, and of course no full throttle excelerations.
Mike J.

V

VTVV

Not sure how brave you are, but there appears to be more resistance to the classic mentality of breaking an engine in gently. The new thinking goes that they do things to that engine before shipping it that would make you cringe, so why baby it too much now? They recommend driving it reasonably hard, to ensure that the seals seat themselves and prevent leaks well, arguing that treating it too softly will cause the seals to seat poorly and cause you problems later on.

I can't find the post in which it was discussed (it was on swedespeed, a volvo site, if someone feels like searching), but I recall a link to a web site with a lot of cross-sectioned motorcycles cylinders and stuff to show how much better the aggressively broken-in engines looked. I can't assure you you'll see similar results; you're not likely to find too many Land Rover engines willing to slice their blocks open to look, either.

C

Cozmo

Knowing Land Rover "reliability" Drive it hard while its still under warranty. The idea being any defective parts will give and be replaced without any out of pocket expense.

D

demomanz

When I was a lot younger and reconditioning motors most weekends, I was a great believer in the good old Kiwi "brick treatment" to bed the rings in so they didn't glaze up too soon. This involved running the motor for 10 mins at fast idle and checking that cooling system had no airlocks or leaks. Then put a brick or suitable bit of 4'x 2' timber to hold the accellerator at full throttle until the motor stopped smoking, maybe upto close to an hour. It was better on the ears if one went to a neighbour at least 3 doors away with some beer.
A tight rebuild only needed one six pack of time, whereas an older sloppy one needed several six packs to come right. It is a long time since iv'e heard a motor being bricked tho!!!! oh yeah, change the oil again after bricking b4 putting into service. Ill tell you about the AJAX trick another day.
cheers Tony.L

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo