How to: replace pulley bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So its pulley bearing going out. Definetly :)

Can someone (please? pretty please?) share on how to replace bloody thing?
I dont want to tear everything down to ground, finding it in experimental way,
just for once :)

Thanks in advance!

Disco1, 1994, 136K+ miles

Last edited:

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Remove belt, I think I swung the alternator out of the way and simply unbolt the pulley. Then take to a shop and have the old pne pressed out and the new one in.

The pulley arm will move a little but will eventualy stop and let you unbolt it. Use a breaker bar, you'll never do it with a wrench.

Justin

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Justin. It unbolts in normal or reverse thread?

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sergei, what happened to Uzbad?

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Andy - i am touchy about that nickname and people been sort of transforming it :) Its been given to me many years ago and it has actual translation from Tengvar. I am bit touchy about my name too (named after me grandfather i am), but there isnt much transforming that english speaker can do to it, so i swapped it out. I know its weird but i guess thats part of who i am and of how i been brought up.

Cool new avatar :)

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. So i been trying to get off this stupid pulley thing by pulling it anticlockwise with 15mm wrench. No effect except for bolt head becoming rather damaged..

What am i missing?

We talking tensioner (idler) pulley...

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh well.. figured that one out. Replaced bearing. Not that it helped alternator to get normal, but at least i feel better...

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW: for future reference here is how its done

1) go to NAPA store and pick up double sealed bearing (Justin, yours was single side btw)
2) remove upper portion of fan cowl, remove serpentine belt
3) depending on how badly its stuck - you can either use 15mm socket wrench (regular direction) to undo onlly pulley, or use 13mm wrench to undo tensioner assembly and then pulley off from assembly.
4) get C clip out - its on wider side of pulley
5) with C clip out of the way push bearing off. Can be done with rubber mallet and wrench' socket as pusher. Mind to push out via wider side.
6) stick new bearing in. Wither use machine shop of socket and mallet solution. If socket - then it has to be just tid bit smaller than outer bearings dimension - so you wouldnt damage side seals
7) pick up bit of grease and cover both sides of bearing and inside hole. Good grease, not cheapo one :)
8) put C clip back in, bolt pulley onto tensioner assembly.

Viola. You got quieter pulley.

Hint - if pulley stuck badly - take assembly out. Soack it in WD-40 or BG penetrating solution. Get 6-side 15mm socket wrench, put assembly under hi-lift, stick one of ends of hi-lift under wheel, and ask friend to stand on other end - this wills secure assebly - start unbolting... Can try to use air socket thingy as well.. :)

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
That sounds like the right way. Glad to see you fixed it.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin - yes, thanks again for help with part number. That one is down, two more to go.. (alt and cats)..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM