Instrument light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F

fisherg1

The instrument light (illuminates the speedometer, tachometer, and gauges) on my 95 D1 does not work. I have checked all fuses and they are good. All other electrical works (radio, clock and light, windows, etc.) I think that the heater controls should have some sort of illumination behind them as well. Is this tied together? Could this just be a bulb? If so how easy is it to change. I cannot tell how fast (or slow) I am going at night.
Thanks,

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And you also got no rear red lights on, when you turning on headlights?

F

fisherg1

I checked and I did not have the right side rear lights when the headlights were on. I rechecked the fuses and found the one for the right side lights to be bad. Replaced it and dash lights as well as the right rear lights worked!
Thanks for the pointer Serrgei!

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem :)

Our early Discos got pretty weird fuse dependency. I blew up mine and then spent literally month getting parts and pulling things apart untill i finally got ****** off and rechecked all fuses and promptly found one under hood that by all means shouldnt really affect those (its marked as lights or something - 20A one), but it disabled my instrument panel illumination, rear lights, yet left headlights fully functional.

On bright side i have nowdays spare wiper stalk and headlight stalk switches :)

Heem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Genius

This is actually pretty smart - I mean how often have you been driving around for possibly weeks and not realize that your right tail light is out, or your brake lights don't work. At least this way we have an indicator inside the cab. Excellent.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well yes, but unfortunately there are at least 3 other causes to that same thing:
- when dimming potentiometer (small rolling wheel thingy that regulates how bring illumation is) goes south
- when headlight switch snuffs it (they known to do that for unknown reasons)
- ground getting screwed when you installed something :)

Last one was exactly my case as i was fiddling with putting new CD changer in at same time.
And fuse blew b/c i found weird empty relay slot and tried to stick in spare "universal" relay..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo