LR3 Stalling after driving over potholes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P

Purpose

I purchased my new 06 LR3 HSE 2 weeks ago. Twice last week my LR3 stalled on the highway, in heavy traffic, after riding over a pothole at 60 mph. I dropped the vehichle off at the service department on Thursday morning. We picked the the vehichle up on Friday evening. We were told that the stalling was caused by a faulty rear differential sensor that caused the diff to lock up when we hit a bump. Well it's now Sunday, the car stalled twice last night and another 5 times today, all after going over minor bumps. My wife is terrified of the truck now, obviously we lose power steering when she stalls at high speeds.

I'm really ****** off and scared, at the same time. Any thoughts?

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know for sure, but that line about the diff locking sounds like ********. My guess it that something that doesn't like water got wet. Locking the diff shouldn't cause you to stall any more than my doing a cartwheel in my front yard causes the grass to grow slower.

Something (inertia switch?) is causing either electricity or fuel to stop going to the engine when you hit a bump. It needs to be reset or replaced. Does the motor stop entirely? Do you still have power when the stalling happens (i.e., radio works, etc.)? It could also be as simple as a battery terminal that is loose and cutting power off due to the sudden bump.

Good luck!

N

NHESS81

ya, it is NOT the differential, they are SUPPOSED to lock up! and the worst it would do is cause a huge shudder in the drive line if it happend at the wrong time--usually will never do this

id say its the inertia switch too, but if that was the case, wouldnt the hazards come on automatically as well? and i thought the inertia just cut off the fuel pump, which you would have to manually reset--neither of these seem to be happenin to this rover..

battery is a possibility too...do the lr3 use coil packs still? maybe the leads from the spark plugs are loose there, if the coil pack arches i think it can cause a random stall...so check the battery terminals, check the spark plug wires, and bring up both ideas to your so far incompetent dealer..

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My inertia switch went out without causing the flashers to blink. I pulled into a restaurant and the damn thing wouldn't restart when I left. The switch chose that moment to die.

P

Purpose

Found The Problem

The problem was with the weight of all the other keys on my key chain. The LR3 ignition is very sensative.When I'd hit a big enough *** hole, the keys would jolt and the truck would stall. I've removed all other keys from my key chain and, the problem has been solved.

H

Houm_WA

...considering the bulk of the LR3 key FOB, you must have the heaviest set of keys known to man !!!

How do you know this was the problem? ....did ya drive over the same set of potholes ? How consistently were you able to produce the stall before?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink