Please Help..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SBRangerover

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Great to be here :=) So let's see if you can provide some positive and eary repair knowledge.
I own a 1995 Range Rover 4.0 SE. Just took it to get it smog and it failed the Emission Control System Visual Inspection/Functional:
PCV and Fuel Evaporative Controls Functional. I would not know where to look first.
Then on the Idle Emission Test results it failed while idle on the HC (PPM) the result shown was a high 146 MEAS instead of a 100 MAX or AVE 26.

Does the range rover has a PCV valve or it is the tubing that might be clogged? Where is this valve located? Anyone has a diagram or picture?
What is a FECF? Is it a physical part or electronics. I noticed that while the car is stop running on idle it tends to die, the rpms are very low. Why is it and how can I get it higher?

What would cause the high HC (PPM) while on idle?
About two years ago I replaced one of the catalytic and the muffler. Would I need to change the right catalytic if it is bad?

1995 Range Rover 4.0 SE
127,300 miles.
2004 last LAND ROVER dealership service done.
2006 Replacled ECU due to damaged by water leaked into the car.
BOSH platinum spark plugs, a week old.
Spark Plugs wires about 2 1/2 yrs old.
Recent Oil change at 125,000
Unleaded Fuel only.

Thank you..

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First thing I would do is get rid of the Bosch plugs and install some cheap champions you know the $1.50 ones, fill it up with some High test fuel, clean the intake out, run a can of seafoam in the fuel tank and the intake vacuum line.

SBRangerover

Reaction score
Smog Test Failed!

First thing I would do is get rid of the Bosch plugs and install some cheap champions you know the $1.50 ones, fill it up with some High test fuel, clean the intake out, run a can of seafoam in the fuel tank and the intake vacuum line.

Thanks Joey for your help!

I did exactly what you recommended. However, it FAILED the Fuel Evaporative Controls Functional check. Everything else passed! How can I get that repaired or check? Or fixed at a minimum cost? The guy pointed out the rubber hose that goes from the side of the engine all the way down to the gas tank, there is a leak but to find it?

Thanks,

Steve

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no idea what a Fuel Evaporative Controls Functional check is... more details.

What is he/she doing for this check?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9