shopping for D5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ugmw177

Reaction score
Hi all,
My Wife is interested in a Discovery 5 [full size, not sport] here in the US. We have an LR4 petrol v8 [great car but takes a lot of maintenance].

Just looking for a rundown of things we should be on the lookout for on the Discovery 2017-present.

I assume the early ones had the same petrol v6 that the last LR4s had..not great.
Suspension?
Later engines?

Thanks in advance.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good lord why? A let down from the LR4 in almost all aspects. Run the LR4 and then buy a new Lexus GX

ugmw177

Reaction score
Wow, is the D5 reawlly that bad. Not getting rid of the LR4; my son is driving it away at his University. I would really like to get the newer one with the inline 6/mild hybrid but really none around except a brand new one at local dealer...[not interested in the massive depreciation on this.]. Actually, very few D5s around of any year. Lots of discovery sports...Did LR just not sell many over the past few years? Anyone know if the earlier SCV6 ones still have timing chain tensioner issues or were they finally really re=designed

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've had no maintenance problems with our 6.5-year-old D5 HSE Td6 and couldn't be happier with it. It's the quintessential fusion of comfortable freeway cruising (26+ mpg at 80mph) with apocalyptic off-road capability (equal to the new Defender--including 35" wading depth--except for approach and departure angles).

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good lord why? A let down from the LR4 in almost all aspects. Run the LR4 and then buy a new Lexus GX
I’m afraid I must agree…. or the new defender.
I would be hopeful that a new vehicle was not always in the shop. As for sales, I suppose it boils down to what you use it for; the “sport” seems to accommodate different sorts of people from the LR4 or the Defender.
I keep my LR4, mechanically pristine, but she does have a few tree inspired pinstripes and does get a good mud bath every now and again. I haven’t seen a LR5 keep up.

Coincidentally, there is the 75 anniversary edition of the 110 at the dealer. Wish I didn’t take it for a spin… nor see that there is a pretty hard cover history book included…

Last edited:

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long time member who hasn’t posted in years.

Disco 5 that bad? I’m looking for a 3rd row SUV with some modest off road capability and I’m considering another Land Rover. I like the idea of the available diesel.

What type of wheel/tire combos can be fitted on these? I know it was always a bit of a headache on the other models too. I would primarily be doing sand/mud driving so I would want a smaller wheel with higher profile tire.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72