Split Fire Plugs.. Good or Bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lemontin

Reaction score
I've been thinking about putting some split fire spark plugs in my '92 classic with 63k on it.

But then I remembered that those type of plugs run hotter than standard plugs and I was concerned about the aluminum block.

Has anyone else tried these?

I'm looking for ways to improve my mileage and in the past I have found those type of plugs to improve idleing, running and mileage. But that's not worth it if it's bad for the engine block or gaskets.

Any other suggestions or links to improve mileage are appreciated.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Personal preference is a wonderful thing... all plugs are basically the same they provide spark, some claim to do this better than others.

I have yet to see a Rover Pre 96 RR or Pre 2000 Disco, run great on anything but cheap champions or champion platinums in the case of the newer models.

I have heard of people claiming there plugs work better but when they start asking about issues they are having, I always ask what type of plug and generally they have something other than champions on the list.

Improving fuel economy on a Rover = buy a second fuel sipping vehicle. Don't get me wrong I have a post about powerchip and I have gotten up to 19 mpg highway and average 15 around town. But I am not sure you can powerchip a 92 model.

Lemontin

Reaction score
Yeah I ride a motorcycle most of the warmer months..that helps offset it.!!

My main worry on the splitfire plugs is that they make your engine run hotter. They're also mor eexplosive and old gaskets can have problems with them. I got that from their own literature. Anyway, I keep reading about how important it is not to let the RR motors get too hot so I thought I'd see if anyoen else has teid them in an old one.. I got one of the latest Atlantic British flyers and I saw them advertized there, and made me think of the heat issue.

I have enough experience with splitfires to know they increased the mileage in my old Isuzu Rodeo by .8 - 2.3 MPG depending on city/highway, weather etc..the usual stuff.. but they did help and even though that seems small I think it's significant, especially in a vehicle that does less than 20 MPG. It also eliminated the rough idleing on my Isuzu.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112