Sunroof Drain...or so I thought!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That hole looks suspect, good detective work. I'd be pointing the finger at the glass guy but maybe it was already there before.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That hole looks suspect, good detective work. I'd be pointing the finger at the glass guy but maybe it was already there before.
I TOTALLY agree! Except for the fact that I'm on like my 9th windshield. SMH.

I went through 4 in a 6 month period...Safelite did them all because the cheap knockoff glass they were using at the time wasn't compatible with the rain sensor.

I think there was another windshield in there somewhere, but I can't 100% remember. Then I just had one done about 10 months ago.

Unfortunately, I can't prove anything, so I'm just stuck fixing the hole and moving on with my life.

RoverTide

Reaction score
Y’all have convinced me, I’m pulling my trim caps off as soon as the weather gets just a little warmer.

@RoverTide, where did you source the little black circle tape? Or is this one of those “ductape” will work just fine?

I guess we’re just sealing the hole up, and since the guides are clipped, I wonder if some heavy duty sealant would be a more permanent seal?

The big question will be, I literally just replaced the clips 4 days ago, how many will break when I take the trim panels off! LOL!! (Seriously, I’m guessing at least one or two. SMH)
I just got the clips from Atlantic British and they came with the circle tape (for the top holes only). I think as long as you get some tape with really strong adhesive that can withstand really cold and really hot temps, you're good, but sealant would prob be even better. If you look real close in the picture I posted above, I used duct tape on the very bottom hole. I doubt it will last forever, but will prob be good enough until I have to get under there again.

I just hope you don't break the plastic on the a-pillar that holds the clips... I had to epoxy one back together. I assume warmer weather or a little heat will help prevent breakage.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate you sharing this,Tapps33. Once liquid gets above the freezing point here, I'm going to have to check and see if the moisture returns in my footwells.

I've seen doors end up with their drain ports clogged with dirt...it sounds like there's at least one such area right underneath the front sunroof drains. It would be nice to be able to reach the ports from underneath to clear them if needed.

...and then there's the A-pillar. LR Time has a good vid covering the "NASA tape" solution for one problem on LR3s.

One thing that I did in lieu of making an aluminum cover for the cabin air intake and removing the windshield cowl to install that: I just blocked off about 9" of the grill in that cowl directly over where that intake sits. It'll at least keep stuff from falling vertically straight down into it.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I literally just glued some plastic...probabaly not the longest term solution, but at least it'll get me back up and running in the short term. In theory, the cowl should be blocked, but it's got some "weak spots."

Here's how the under side of my replacement cowl looks. (sorry, I didn't look at. the OE when I swapped them, they might be different.)

IMG_1064.jpeg

In theory, the area circled should be "blocking" anything from flowing or falling in...

IMG_1064a.jpeg

In reality, there are a lot of gaps and cracks, and there really isn't a good seal between the windshield and cowl...so there's that.

Looking closely:

IMG_1065.jpeg

It really is just a crap design. I mean, why couldn't they just cut the corner a little bit more so it doesn't extend in front of the windshield?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72