Terrain Response Modes - Out of Sync?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this is weird (and my dealer is worthless...but that is another story). I am pretty sure since new, the terrain response settings don't agree with each other. between the instrument panel and center console switch area.

In the first image, "Grass Gravel Snow" is the top line that is displayed, but the highlighted icon looks like the mud/ruts. The second image shows the "Grass Gravel Snow" icon illuminated in the

Also, it seems odd that I get something that reminds me of a dos prompt, "/BMP_TR_VEHICLE". It seems weird if this is normal but since it's English I'll go with it...curious what others are seeing.

I will also mention that my auto ECO stop/start stopped working about a year ago. I just figured it was a dead battery which I do not plan on replacing...no trouble light or message, so I am happy, but I am now wondering if I may have some more significant electrical problems.

LR1.jpg LR2.jpg

jeffdude

Reaction score
My Terrain Response is out of sync as well. 2016 Lux. Assumed some sort of software SNAFU and dealing with the dealer on this would be a pain.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's pretty crazy. I'd have it in to the dealer asap. Never head of this one before. Perhaps a newer truck software issue.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, 6-7 years into LR4 production and LR still struggling with odd glitches like this. That sure inspires hope for the 2017's, considering they will be even more laden with computer/software functions than the LR4...

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, thats just plain ********! These guys at LR have really been droppin the ball lately. Its gotten worse over the last few years, really. I mean QC is down the drain, and I could reference several things after ten years of ownership of a single model (2005 LR3 to now MY16 LR4) that should really have been matured as hell by now, like a Land Cruiser.

Moving away from a "Product driven" brand to a "Market/Sales/Fad driven" volume generating generic car manufacturer is one thing, but to let something like this (and other quality control gremlins including fit and finish) out the door, and for a luxury brand, is just ridiculous and unacceptable.

I better check mine as far as this Terrain Response display being out of sync.

Really sad to see the single most unique truck on the planet (and most of us here could easily favorably debate that) go this route of first being neglected over the years and now down to this level of QC checks, then to being turned into a glorified all wheel drive monocoque soccer mom minivan, complete with overly electronic gadgetry to a point where even the tow hitch receiver is dependent and at the mercy of a motion sensor(s).

The new Discovery Minivan Concept design is already well on its way to being looking dated in the next two or three years even before the first batch of delivery. Thats just the nature of fad/trend driven designs. Case in point, the current FFRR already looks a little dated when parked next to the new Discovery minivan, as I noticed at the LA auto show. The only three year or so old design of the flagship costing well over 100k was looking pretty dated right next to the orange minivan. The older FFRR (MY02 to 12) on the other hand still has substance and grace because of its clean lines and less-is-more aesthetics approach. Whereas LR3/4 still stands the test of time with grace and personality even after a decade and even after mediocre design/freshen-up attempts to force it to look like other models in the lineup, with that busy front grille that is completely out of sync from the rest of the body design.

What a waste really. There was so much potential to keep the design of this structurally, mechanically, and functionally already unique truck well ahead of the curve and modern and unique looking overall with the added benefit and potential of maturity and reliability, but they totally screwed it up.

Way to go Tata.

Last edited:

Ryan00TJ

Reaction score
I'll have to check mine. I don't remember it being out of sync.

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should add that I have a '15 Lux...agree with you catman that this should really be a mature design with mature systems by now.

Manoftaste, I couldn't agree with you more. This is my first LR product, and possibly the last (at least new one - hello Defender 110!). I wanted something with great capability that was also NOT an amorphous blob, and this definitely fit the bill.

To make matters worse, I am in Northen NJ where the target audience is not quite those who may want to tow, go offroad, camping, skiinbg, etc. The whole acquisition process and service experiences have been downright disappointing.

I really wanted this to be a 10-year vehicle, and it still may be if I find a good service center. For now, I am going to order a IID tool (was on my list anyway) and try a different dealer.

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update - So I never ordered the IID tool but I did bring my LR in for service and had them look into this. Dealer was able to resolve it.

From the service record: "...cause: internal module software error, 889003 Instrument Pack - system diagnosis - includes configuration of new ECU 46WPL97"

I know I mentioned it in a prior visit, but it must have not surfaced until more recently.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM