Tire wear & Replacements?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddyone

Land Rover Sales Consultant
Reaction score
Tire wear & Replacements? Photos Now! :biggrin:

Hello all I was wondering if I could get your opinion on this, I will be replacing my tires soon but they seem to have worn away in a strange way. The inside tire tread has become swollen on every other tread block. You can see that the left side of the tire has worn more then the right. Also the drivers side of the car has worn more then the passenger side.
I check my tire pressure often and was wondering before I put fresh tires on what is causing this to happen? Tires are on a 99D2, 18inch rims with ACE

Also if you could suggest what works well for replacement tires, and why.

Attachments

• Tire c.jpg
    Tire c.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 97
  • Tire d.jpg
    Tire d.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
A few things will cause the issues that you mention. What comes to mind though is:

a) all-wheel drive vehicles tend to wear tires roughly.
b) were the tires rotated? LR does not recommend this, but if you want your tires to last it is recommended.
c) if one side is wearing more than the other, I would look at the toe in setting of the Disco in Question. Most shops will state that it is in specs if it is within standards, very few alignment shops know enough to know how to fix an issue if you tell the tech how the tires are wearing. It sounds to me like you need to have the front end toed-out a little.

Of course this is all my opinion and all on this board are welcome to tell me I have know idea what I am saying (it might just be true).

Smile and have a good day.

As far as replacement tires....get some 16 inch rims and buy some cheaper tires that will wear longer. (this also is just my opinion)

Muddyone

Reaction score
Joey thanks for the opinion, take a look at the photos, do you still think the same thing?
I really like the look of 18's though, so i want to keep the rims, need to see what is a good 18/255/55 replacement?

T

Tunerworks

I'd say it sounds like a wheel alignment issue, you should take it to a local tire shop and get your wheel alignment checked and adjusted back to within "Spec".

D

discomike

Tar, so how often do you rotate, what sort air pressure and how many miles on the truck???
Mike J.

Muddyone

Reaction score
mmm to be honest I don’t think they were ever rotated, the shop I take it too for oil changes says they do it every time I get an oil change, but before they didn’t have a wrench big enough to get the lugs off (love how big the lugs are :proud: ) they’ve bought a wrench now just for me. Also I thought LR said not to rotate tires, I’m not sure why though. I run the spec tire pressure, always thought it looks a little though. Only 55,000km on my 99D2.
If my alignment was out the car would pull in one direction right, always thought that. I have no pull but its prolly a good idea to get it checked before I stick new tires on.

D

discomike

Based on your last e-mail, I would say not to worry about your tire wear, you have probably done really well considering.
Buy some tires somewhere where they offer free tire rotations, like Coctco. I would suggest you have someone that knows 4 wheelers do an alignment to cover all your bases. No, your alignment can be off just a little and that big old Disco will eat up the tires a little plus it is a 4 wheeler and they are prone to tire wear.
Good luck,
Mike J.

Muddyone

Reaction score
Ok will go for the alignment when i get the new tires, thanks Mike. can anyone do the alignment on a LR or is this something that should be done by the dealer?

D

discomike

Any shop that is familiar with 4x4's can set the toe on a Rover.
Good luck and rotate those new tires every 7000 miles.
Mike J.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99