Trans Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

LandyLight

Hey guys just reading some other post about the sealed trans system. For us w/o sealed trans 1995 D1 how often should you change fluid in these vehicles, and when you do change it should you renew with the trans filter kit. I was under impression that you should not change trans fuid unless you smell that it sis burnt. What kind of fluid do you guys recommend and how do you purge air from system or does it purge itself.

On another note i am planning to drop my oil pan on my next oil change, is it a fairly simple straight forward job or is there any little quirks i should be aware of.
I got new oil pan gasket and the pick up gasket on order, is there anything else i would need for this job???
thanks for your in put guys :bandit:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adam - dropping pan is dead easy. Just be prepared to lots of crap falling on your head when you do it (i.e wear eye protection and techy bandana). I cant remember if you got to remove rear tie rod to get clearance though. But then its dead easy anyway.

Quirkiest part is to get gasket properly lined up when you putting thingy back. And to not scream in horror when you seeing insides of engine being ugly and covered in brownish laquer from cooked oil :)

Cleaning is easy but BE VERY CAREFULL to not cut fingers. There are some pretty sharp edges inside pan.

Transmission change periods are around 20K miles. I.e about every 2 yrs. If you got used truck good idea is to change it anyway. Use synthetic one and bottle of either B&G or Lucas transmission additive. Those will make shifting nicer and even infamous clonking from R-D will not be appearing every time. Wont get completely cured, but will be more rare :)

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on the '96 but my '98 has one. IIRC, the dipstick is on the right, passenger side, of the engine compartment all the way back to the firewall. It also has a yellow cap on it.

D

discomike

They are only considered a sealed unit if there is no dip stick, Oh the fun of it all.
Mike J.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72