What is this light and sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bohuang

Reaction score
Hi

In diagnossing my electric drain problem that kills battery on my 97 Discovery, I found a light and clicking sound I cannot identify.

There is a one inch diameter clear plastic ring around the ignition key hole. After turning off the vehicle, whether if the key is left in or out, the tip part of this ring start to flash red as soon as all doors are shut AND the interior lights have dimmed and turned off.

The flashing does not stop, whether the doors are locked or unlocked while shut. However, it does stop as soon as any door is opened.

Moreover, a very light clicking sound (just like turn signals) becomes lightly audible with the flashing and is synchronized to it. I would say the flashing/clicking sound happens about twice per second in a consistent beat.

I cannot yet find anything on the manual, especially on page 61 where the different key positions are explained. Wonder if this is a warning about any system still active, thus draining my battery?

Other than that, if I take out the radio, a red light behind it flash consistently. Is this normal?

Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
This is an odd one, I have never heard of this before. Let me make a phone call and see if I can find anything.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry for the late response, but in checking this sounds like a ground or corrosion issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo