Wiring Aftermkt fog lights to original wires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 Disco sd, (without fog lights) and fog season is coming. I checked out the front bumper and there are wires and connectors for fog lights, but I was hoping to not have to spend $300 on oem land rover fog lights. Can I wire up a set of cheaper ones to those wires? Will anything fit the connectors?

PS... my check engine light just came on and I check the engine and fixed the problem, but the light stayed on. How do I get the light to go off?

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(1) You can set up cheaper fog lights (the originals are Hellas), but don't go about 55w on each light (110w total), or you'll blow the fuse. Splicing in wires should be fairly easy.

(2) You need to reset the code(s) that the engine computer threw, which AutoZone or other car places can do. Watch that it doesn't come back on, though...that would mean you didn't fix all the problems.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone else help? I think I want to put some round hellas on my bumper. Is this hard to wire up to the fog light switch on the dash?

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the original fog lights? If you splice in the wires to your new lights, the fog light switch in the dash will control them. What I mean by that is this:

Cut the wires to the fog light connectors, and splice the power wire (red?) to the power wire for the new lights (probably red), and the ground to the ground. You might need to tuck away or trim the excess wires, but the switch already has a fuse (in the underdash fusebox), and there is a relay between the fuse and the power supply.

If not, post up and we'll see if we can't help :biggrin:

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright thanks, sounds easy enough... I have the wires for fog lights, but never had the lights

R

RoverDisco98

If you are planning anything more than the 55w lights you will need a stronger relay. I used the hot lead from my existing fog light connector as the 'trigger' lead to a new relay which took power direct from the battery. This way exisitng swithch will still control the lights but you are not using the factory relay.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay thanks, good advice... What I'm thinking of doing is getting a set of hellas and drilling my bumper and mounting them in front of the grill on the bumper.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS... are those light connectors that don't go to anything (near the headlights) fog lights or driving lights? I'm assuming they are for stock fog lights because a lot of discoverys come with fog lights on the lower spoiler, but mine didn't. I was just checking to make sure those are for fog lights and not driving lights or something. I think it would be better for me at least, to install fog lights if anything. I live in a foggy area and I rarely ever use my high beams so I don't see driving lights being of much use for me, but I would get a lot of use out of some good fog lights. At least in the winter season. I'm just hesitant to tackle the installation because my last attempt at installing fog lights on my last car didn't go good. They ended up sitting in the packaging after I gave up trying to get them working. That was a long time ago though. I could probably do it now if I tried.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112