XM Radio Mounting and 12v Question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trickblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a great place to mount my XM (ashtray) and was wondering about adding a 12v outlet behind the dash. It looks really good down there. I'll post pics later...

I've read around and have seen where some say you can't tap into the existing power because it freaks out the computer...

I cut a hole in the back of the ashtray so I can run cables back and tap in to the power outlet to the left of the ashtray...

Would this be a bad idea?

Also... when I read my manual it stated that I should never plug anything into the cigar lighter, other than the lighter itself... why is this? I currently have my GPS and iPhone plugged in on a Y cable with no issues...

vladyshka13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hocked my XM Radio to the power wires from cigaret lighter in the second row. No issues. Just had to run the extension wires to it.

trickblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what I did. Take a look about 1/4 way down. Your solution sounds similar to what I did.

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13045&highlight=ipod

Looks really good... I have the same XM unit... my only gripe is that it only has 10 presets...

Actually mine is a little different (I'll take pics) I actually mounted mine TO the ashtray so I still have the little storage tray area to use. I used epoxy putty to get the initial hold, then when it set up I coated it in several layers of epoxy... it's really solid. My plan is to route the wires through the ashtray so no wires are visible...

A replacement ashtray is only $25 bucks...

Thanks for the link... good stuff... I hadn't thought about the switch...

trickblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what I did. Take a look about 1/4 way down. Your solution sounds similar to what I did.

Looks really good... I have the same XM unit... my only gripe is that it only has 10 presets...

Actually mine is a little different (I'll take pics) I actually mounted mine TO the ashtray so I still have the little storage tray area to use. I used epoxy putty to get the initial hold, then when it set up I coated it in several layers of epoxy... it's really solid. My plan is to route the wires through the ashtray so no wires are visible...

trickblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score

trickblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Actually mine is a little different (I'll take pics) I actually mounted mine TO the ashtray so I still have the little storage tray area to use. I used epoxy putty to get the initial hold, then when it set up I coated it in several layers of epoxy... it's really solid and looks factory... My plan is to route the wires through the ashtray so no wires are visible...

trickblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Actually mine is a little different (I'll take pics) I actually mounted mine TO the ashtray so I still have the little storage tray area to use. I used epoxy putty to get the initial hold, then when it set up I coated it in several layers of epoxy... it's really solid and looks factory... My plan is to route the wires through the ashtray so no wires are visible...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4