LR4 - Heavy Duty Package Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jomalo

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but can the items featured in the heavy duty package be installed post-purchase?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but can the items featured in the heavy duty package be installed post-purchase?
The full-sized spare - absolutely! I did it for my 2011; however, you will not have TPMS.

As for the locking differential, I have no idea how that would be installed post-purchase without a considerable expense. I know ARB is going to be making lockers for the LR4, but not sure the details. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything is possible with lots of money and expertise. Member Trinyan over on the LR3 forum successfully installed the factory electronic rear lockers in his non-locked LR3 a year or two ago, but it required a large investment in the necessary parts as well as diagnostic equipment to enable the locking differential to "talk" to the electronics in his car. I think he'd be the first one to tell you to wait for the ARB solution at this point, which may turn out to be cheaper and superior (especially since you can also get front locking diff, something even Land Rover doesn't offer even as an option on the LR3/4.)

If anyone is at SEMA, the ARB booth should feature Overland Journal's LR4 fitted with the new lockers, so availability to the general public should be just around the corner.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
As far as I know, there is no downside to having the hd package except for the fact that it is one more thing that can break further down the line.
ARB-based traction control is much more complicated than a locker. If reliability is the issue I'd choose the latter.

I bought a Land Rover because of what it is. The adventurous jungle breed that makes up the DNA of a Land Rover. I love the looks I get when I am out somewhere wheelin and you have all these guys with jacked up trucks with their so called "Off Road or 4x4" capability and here I am with my basically stock LR3(Only up graded tires so far) and I not only gracefully conquer their simple obstacle; I am about 6 out of 10 on having to pull them out of their pathetic situations.
Okay, I know I'm sticking my finger in the hornet's nest here, but current Land Rover offerings have little in common with their predecessors. (How did we go from "Defender" to "Evoque"?) I think you are being a little tough on your wheelin' brethren and their "pathetic" situations. Sure, their trucks don't have the marvel of Land Rover's Terrain Response system. But let's be honest, Terrain Response is a crutch for inexperienced uneducated drivers. Those guys you met on the trail may have foundered a bit, but at the end of the day they'll be better off-road drivers than you, because your truck actually prevents you from acquiring skills.

I don't understand concern about scratching a $60k vehicle. Mine was in the brush before I hade license plates on it. I bought it as a work vehicle…
You and I live on totally different planets, my friend. It shows either an excess of hubris or a dearth of common sense to take a brand new LR4 and scratch it up in the first few weeks of ownership.

What would have been the value of just exposing it to McDonald's parking lots instead of going to some amazing places you just don't see in a Mercedes?
Mercedes? You mean like these?
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 180

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't laugh. I'm sick of the air suspension issues. G-Wagon here I come. Solid axles. Jeep JK...pffffft. I don't even own a flat biller hat. The HD stands for "Here i come Dealer"

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't laugh. I'm sick of the air suspension issues. G-Wagon here I come. Solid axles. Jeep JK...pffffft. I don't even own a flat biller hat. The HD stands for "Here i come Dealer"
I LOVE the G wagon! Sorry to hear about the air suspension troubles - that sucks. It makes me nervous for the future of my 2013. I wish I could rip out the air suspension and put coils.

My life has been nuts - haven't been to the MORG or anything.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and there's my first G-wagen at the end of that row (silver one with the black brushguard). I'm the one who organized that g-wagen trip to Anza.

Now I own the LR4 and just did the same trip to Anza. I don't have an issue taking the LR4 offroading...that's one of the main reasons I bought the truck.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and there's my first G-wagen at the end of that row (silver one with the black brushguard). I'm the one who organized that g-wagen trip to Anza.

Now I own the LR4 and just did the same trip to Anza. I don't have an issue taking the LR4 offroading...that's one of the main reasons I bought the truck.
Hi there!

How did the tires do on your trip? Hope you had a great time!

-David

Jomalo

Reaction score
Realize now that I posted the rail question on the heavy duty pkg thread, but would appreciate the feedback nonetheless! :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72