LR4 - Heavy Duty Package Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

How did the tires do on your trip? Hope you had a great time!

-David

Hi David,

It was a great trip. Remote primitive camping, a couple of challenging obstacles, some fun quick sand trails with whoops. A great dinner and fun night. The whole group enjoyed themselves.

531924_10202328187635428_414595151_n.jpg

1450726_10201751964779749_439538163_n.jpg

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
and there's my first G-wagen at the end of that row (silver one with the black brushguard). I'm the one who organized that g-wagen trip to Anza.

Now I own the LR4 and just did the same trip to Anza. I don't have an issue taking the LR4 offroading...that's one of the main reasons I bought the truck.
Do you find the LR4 more or less capable than your G-Wagen? Here's one from the same trip. Your truck and mine.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Anza-Borrego'04_185.jpg
    Anza-Borrego'04_185.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 171

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you find the LR4 more or less capable than your G-Wagen? Here's one from the same trip. Your truck and mine.

Ah..memories...I think i have a few shots of your truck coming down Coyote Canyon.

Anyway...That's not an easy question for me to answer. My 460 ultimately had 6.17 gears, 35's and with a short wheelbase, I would say it was capable of overcoming certain obstacles better than my LR4. Better ground clearance, being able to lock the front and rear and the short wheelbase made the big difference. That being said, I had a 88hp diesel engine and I could barely do 60mph on flat ground. On uphills tracker trailers were passing me, it was downright scary and somewhat unsafe.

I had a 463 before the LR4 and that is probably a fairer comparison. I had the stock suspension with larger BFG AT tires. I wheeled that truck numerous times with my friends who each had LR3's and Mrk4 RR. If the LR guys weren't in the "correct" program they sometimes ended up having problems when I didn't. When they chose the correct program they made it over every obstacle I did without any issues. Often times taking the best line made the difference for each truck. Overall I find the LR4 better over my 463 G500 on fuel economy (about a 25% improvement), quicker in acceleration, quieter at highway speeds, smoother ride.

With all that being said...In two or three years I'm going back to a G500. :proud:

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The full-sized spare - absolutely! I did it for my 2011; however, you will not have TPMS.

As for the locking differential, I have no idea how that would be installed post-purchase without a considerable expense. I know ARB is going to be making lockers for the LR4, but not sure the details. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

The HD package is definitely worth the money, at least it was for the 2013 MY. There are significant changes for 2014 (see below). Among the benefits is that the full size spare comes mounted on a full size matching alloy wheel, meaning for those who choose to run street tires, you can rotate tires easily. Also, the locker is virtually a necessity in many offroad situations and not having ii when you want that all one direction grunt can make or break your day.

I'd think that Gear Vendors and others MAY have something or there are ORW type shops that have lockers available for the LR4. But then again, aftermarket means no warranty. I'd rather have it break under warranty and then have the dealer pocket the loss than I, unless I really do something dumb...which is not without the realm of possibility.

For 2014, you no longer receive the two speed transfer case as standard! In order to get that two speed and the grunt gear, you MUST order the HD package (from what I am reading) as follows: "a lighter single-speed transfer case for the standard four-wheel-drive system. A two-speed transfer case is now part of an available Heavy Duty Package that includes a locking rear differential and full-size spare tire.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2014's won't have a V8 anymore either. It's a supercharged V6. Still more than 300 on the HP's and torque, but I'll miss the V8...

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great. The LR4 has been downgraded to a "crossover" vehicle. Two words. Death Knell.
We were all mourning the loss of the two-speed transfer case (as standard) last month when it was announced. I think 98% of the Land Rover owners won't care.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2014's won't have a V8 anymore either. It's a supercharged V6. Still more than 300 on the HP's and torque, but I'll miss the V8...
I think the SC V6 is a brilliant engine and will work fine for most people, but I just can't imagine not having the V8.

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have two 2013 LR4's and are SOOO glad we bought them when we did. Had we waited for the 14's, we would have missed several of the features we liked the most and would either have been tramping the internet and car lots looking for a leftover or a used low mileage vehicle. Sometimes, in order to secure a pat on the head from the EPA and the gummint on fuel mileage, the car makers alienate the buyers enmasse. They seem to forget on which side of the bread the butter is spread and who spreads it!

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think they are alienating buyers en masse. A great majority of Land Rover buyers do not care about V8/V6 or transfer case changes with the upcoming models.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72