What Spark Plugs to use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks ... I keep reading about upgrading the plugs to Bosch. Well, I checked their site and they have no listing for a 2003 Disco. What plugs do you folks recommend?

Jaak Lepson

2003 SE-7 with 32,000 KMs on clock.

D

discomike

At 32,000 KM's you are early for plugs. Here in the states they tell us every 60,000 miles. That being said, I replaced mine at 30,000 miles with Bosch Platium Plus 4's and along with Magnacor wires, I got a good boost of low end power.
Go to any auto parts store, they can cross reference from the plug you are now using to a Bosch.
Mike J.

Sam Grant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I listened to the advice offered here for Platinum PLus 4s and went and bought them. I did a search on them over at rennlist and 95% of people are claiming these plus4s to be "total junk". Some people even stated removing them to find some of the tips actually broken off and when first installed running worse than just the factory plugs. Most are recommending NGK Iridium plugs I believe. And I know these are two totally different cars but just hearing some people say they are crap and cant believe Bosch even makes them vs. here they have rave reviews makes me wonder a bit.

Im still planning on trying them out in the Rover as most people here seem to love them but just seeing if anyone here ever had a bad experience with them.

D

discomike

Sam,
I have over 30,000 miles on mine at this point and I can say that not only are the tips all in good shape, I don't even have signs of seal leaks.
The only down side to Plus 4's is that they need moe spark then a factory wire can give and as such don't perform at 100% unless they are on a good quality 8mm wire capable of 55,000 volts plus. By the way, factory wires are rated at 37,000 volts.
Mike J.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sam Grant said:
I listened to the advice offered here for Platinum PLus 4s and went and bought them. I did a search on them over at rennlist and 95% of people are claiming these plus4s to be "total junk". Some people even stated removing them to find some of the tips actually broken off and when first installed running worse than just the factory plugs. Most are recommending NGK Iridium plugs I believe. And I know these are two totally different cars but just hearing some people say they are crap and cant believe Bosch even makes them vs. here they have rave reviews makes me wonder a bit.

Im still planning on trying them out in the Rover as most people here seem to love them but just seeing if anyone here ever had a bad experience with them.

Sam ... on our 951's we cannot use anything other than the standard NGK, Beru, Bosch plugs as the cars are turbo's. A few people tried to use them and had bad results.

Discomike ... what is the plug stock # you are using? The champions that came with mine are the standard plugs. I always like to change them out every 2 years as this is the easiest way to keep the vehicle running well.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike ... my 4.554 l uses Champion RN11YCC which did not "find" a cross reference on several manufactures web sites. The closest I got through an manual search was:

NGK BPR5ES

Bosch WR8CC

All I could find.

Jaak

D

discomike

Jaak,
Don't know what to tell you, I bought mine at a Kragan Auto parts store. My 99 used the same plugs you are using at the time and the above mentioned Bosch has worked well for the last 30K. Realize that the # I gave you is the number off the side of the plug and may not be the actual part number.
Which I could be of more help.
Mike J.

M

MoJoWebCast

I upgraded to NGK Iridium Plugs. I noticed the truck runs much better, starts faster and warms up quicker. I'm going to upgrade the wires to a set o f 8mm Magnecor's.

cyberegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Atlantic British lists a Bosch Platinum, I'm guessing it's the plus 4's. Part# ETC6437P. As soon as I get my brakes straightened out.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72